Something Different
#1
New to the forum and first post.

I picked up my first Grendel earlier this year, a barrel for a T/C Encore pistol. Love it. The bullets I use in my 6.5x57R are both working great. Both VV N-135 and H-4198 in the 15" muzzle break barrel are producing good groups. Just stated loading the cast bullet I use in the old Mauser round, a 155gr gas check Lyman. Being a single shot, no magazine length constraints. Initial results with the cast bullet are promising. Not very fast but, hard hitting. Plan to use on big bore silhouettes out to 200 meters.

The other barrel is wildcat on the old 22 Hornet case, 270 REN. Off hand field pistol silhouette out to 100 meters.

I hope to pick up some good tips from the members. The pix's format does not show the barrel length differences well. The scoped barrel is 10.5" and the Grendel 15".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12723[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Darwin was right. When left alone, Mother Nature has very effective and efficient was of strengthening the gene pool.
Reply
#2
Cool single shot! That wood is beautiful. How's the recoil?
Reply
#3
Welcome to the Horde!

First person I have ever seen post about rifle caliber single shot pistol. I knew they exist, and a select group for shooting matches. Like Palma, it's an art.
Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
Reply
#4
That's a pretty sweet set up. My dad was big into the contenders, and I actually killed my first game with a contender rifle in 22 hornet.
Reply
#5
Sixoeight,

Easy recoil in the Encore. I load the cast 155 gr to 1,400 fps and 123 gr Nosler to 1,950 with H-4198. A match load where you shoot 40-50 is the 123 gr at 1,650. The muzzle break helps. I shoot from a Creedmoor position.

I think more work with powders in the burn range of 4198 is my next step. The N-135 has it's limits in the short barrel.
Darwin was right. When left alone, Mother Nature has very effective and efficient was of strengthening the gene pool.
Reply
#6
Welcome! Awesome looking wood on this setup. I'm sure it shoots as good as it looks.
Reply
#7
I like it, I've shot some cast loads out of my Howa before, just a test but it was fun nonetheless.
Reply
#8
Sweet setup, I have been using a 15" Contender with cast in IHMSA for the last couple of years and love it. MGM made mine, who did yours?

Greg
Reply
#9
Fabulous round in the break action platform
Mine's a contender... barrel by Coyote Arms and Accessories
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13004[/ATTACH]
Shown here before finish on forearm


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
Think twice, shoot once.
Reply
#10
I recently searched for a 6.5 Grendel for my contender but it appears all have quit manufacturing them for a contender ?
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#11
I've never even thought of looking for a Grendel barrel for a Contender!?! I may have to look for one!!

I have two Contender actions, and several barrels. I rarely shoot silhouettes anymore (old age and bad back), but I have taken several whitetails with a Contender with a 14" 7-30 Waters barrel.
Reply
#12
^joe if you find someone making them for contender please updated this thread. I have looked at a couple of companies but it appears they stopped making them for Grendel.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#13
rabiddawg Wrote:^joe if you find someone making them for contender please updated this thread. I have looked at a couple of companies but it appears they stopped making them for Grendel.

I got mine from Match Grade Machine out of Utah. Give them a call on the phone and ask.

Greg
Reply
#14
Match Grade Machine makes them for the G2 contender and the Encore
Reply
#15
rabiddawg Wrote:I recently searched for a 6.5 Grendel for my contender but it appears all have quit manufacturing them for a contender ?


Bullberry listed the Grendel in Contender barrels and a call to them might get one. SSK industries still lists the Grendel in COntender but I would only use itin a G2 Frame personally not the older thinner G2 frames.

There is another one used by a member, Mr Smith uses one for pressure testing.

I have thought many times about adding a Grendel barrel for my Contender or Encore but never have. I hunt mostly with the Contender and a 730 Waters barrel when hunting with the Contender but have hunted with 357 Max, 44 Mag an 45-70 Contender barrels

270 Ren is a cool little cartridge. I always wondered if the thin Hornet brass could be an issue with i as the Hornet brass is pretty thin then necking it up that much figure the mouth is fairly thin but get around that by flaring it out to seet bullet
Reply
#16
I will have to call. I looked at those company’s websites but didn’t see specific contender barrels. They use to have them on their site so I’m sneering if they discontinued them.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#17
Just looked at EABCO site and they do not list the Grendel but do list the 264 LBC I would prefer the SAAMI Grendel chamber myself. hat listing is for teh Encore, did not check fo the Contender.
Reply
#18
Because of it's chamber pressure, I recommend hand-loading only for the Grendel when Contender platform is utilized.
Here's one that also needs special attention. The 250/3000. Load to only 39,000 psi for contender.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Think twice, shoot once.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)