Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
Updating this thread.
Today I ordered the crosstac mat. Midway finally had it in stock for $142 no shipping.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
Years ago, I found a 6x6' heavy canvas tarp at an Army surplus store. I bought 3 and like an idiot, gave two away to shooting buddies. It isn't padded, but is treated and blocks moisture and I can spread it out to hold my gear while shooting. It folks up nicely and just rides on the seat of my truck. I actually use it for a variety of things, but I bought it as a shooting mat.
This would be something similar, treated as well...
https://www.tarpsupply.com/canvas-tarp-21oz-6x6.html
Posts: 144
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2017
This is the one I've used for the past 8 years. I have two in case one gets wet or muddy (usually both at the same time), and I use the spare until the other one dry's out.
https://www.voodootactical.net/voodoo-ta...g-mat.html
Posts: 61
Threads: 3
Joined: Apr 2019
Kswhitetails Wrote:I bought the Midway mat when it was on sale for $40 bucks, cost another 13 to ship it. Don't think it was a bad deal, it's padded, water resistant, and camo. Whats not to like? I'ts a fan-fold, so it is more bulky than some. I don't mind, its like carrying a briefcase to work when I get to the range. I prefer shooting prone from it than off a bench, and I find that to work out better in the field as well.
I'm not sure it matters, but the padding is nice. Especially in gravel or on a concrete firing line.
I also picked a couple of these up and have been very happy with them.
Posts: 18
Threads: 4
Joined: Dec 2018
Zeus Wrote:I have 3 of these. Got them on sale though a little cheaper......but still a good entry level shooting mat. I even use one to change the oil in my cars.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/276544...olive-drab
![[Image: 276544a1.webp]](https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/2200x1650/alt1/276/webp/276544a1.webp)
That's the same mat I use to shoot NRA High Power matches 2 or 3 times each month. It's going strong into it's 3rd season. That $39.99 sale price is really good. I think I paid the same when it went on sale before. Likes;
1. The bottom has a rubberized coating that protects it from dew and wet grass.
2. The top has a rubberized coating around the chest and elbow area. It does a great job to keep your elbows from sliding.
3. It's wider than what most competitors seem to use, so you have more real estate to make use of.
4. It rolls and unrolls quickly, and has a nice shoulder strap that I sling over the back of my shooting cart.
5. This is a really minor like, but it has a length of open webbing along the top of the mat. That's a handy spot to jam your sighter rounds in prone if you're not laying too far back on the mat.
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Joined: May 2019
I have been using the Midway USA mats for years. I still have and use a coupon of the original regular mats but now have a "pro" model which is larger and has thicker padding.
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
I took mine on a recent hunting trip to Comfort Texas hoping to get a chance to use it. After seeing my buddy get attacked by red bugs/chiggers, while sitting in a chair nestled up in some cedars. I decided not to lay on the ground on my matt.
Yes I wimped out
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Why dont you spray the mat with insect repellent or the bottom with insecticide?
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
NugginFutz Wrote:Why don’t you spray the mat with insect repellent or the bottom with insecticide?
My buddy was miserable and I was not going to take a chance. Plus there were plenty of box blinds
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
07-07-2019, 12:18 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2019, 12:21 AM by FLshooter.)
I got a redneck covenant shooting pad on Amazon last year for around $32. Its got 1/2 foam in it and it works just as well as any.
I used to use a painters canvas before I got it.I see guys use tarps.Really,any shooting mat will do.
Posts: 568
Threads: 44
Joined: Jun 2016
I use the mid level roll up mat from midway. It works great and is light weight and easily carried into the field. Works great for my purposes.
Posts: 251
Threads: 36
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013