Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Build your dad a gun!
#1
My wife's suggestion for my Dad's birthday present, (which by the way was Febuary 5), was to build him a Grendel upper. When my wife says "gun" but I assume that means Grendel, because that's all I hear in conjunction with that word anymore; Thanks BFT, LRRPF52. And since she cares nothing about learning what the differences between the terms - rifle, Armalite, sporting rifle, and caliber are, - we will just assume that I am correct here. Ahem. YES MA'AM!

So, I had a few parts lying around that either needed sold, or built anyway. Project assumed!

My dad is one of those guys that just gives himself away. He loves helping folks, and is always trying to find ways to help my family and I. I love that part of our relationship. He is terrible at remembering birthdays, anniversiarys, holidays - a genetic defect I inherited from him... Never sends cards, buys gifts, or does anything special for anyone, (except his grand kids on Xmas. My mother would skin him alive if he forgot or procrastinated that one away) unless something or someone reminds him to do so. But - if he saw someone on the side of the road that needed help - he'd risk spilling the milk to pull over and stop.

Any time myself, my brother, or my other family has come to him with a tale of trouble, he is the first one to line up to find a way to get things right. Money, time, work, he's there. And if ever there was someone I wanted to be in a hole with when the fit hits the shan, it's this guy. I'm proud to be his son, and prouder that I cal him dad.

Okay, mush over.

He has one AR, a Bushmaster XM15 1:9 carbine. He asked me last fall if I thought he could use it for a short distance "woods gun". To which I immediately replied, sure -if shot placement is there, but that 1:9 limited projectile selection to the lighter less terminally capable rounds. This sparked a discussion of the benefits of building his own Grendel upper, of which he was less than enthusiastic as he would then have to amass yet another store of ammunition. A good problem to have folks. (And his son can make his nice newly empty go bang again, so whats not to like?)

So, I set out in Feb to start buying parts I still needed to finish getting his upper done. A barrel and bolt, upper, carrier, and thread protector. I had the rest on hand. Barrel and bolt were no brainers, the GB 16 and Bolt were reserved. It seemed about a week later, I saw a deal on a carrier from PriMarty's Armies. Buy a BCA side carging carrier, get the upper free. BOOM. Done. It just so happened that PA had the JP 5/8 protector on sale for $15 or something at the same time. It shouldn't have been this easy.

So, as the barrel finally arrived today with my 12.7, I was in the mood, and put together Dad's birthday present.

Group buy 16" barrel, GB bolt
BCA side charging carrier, upper, plug screw
Seekins Precision NOXZ Mlok 15" hand guard
Diamond Head nitride set screw GB
Stainless Gas tube
JP thread protector
OCCP (Don't remember where I got this, probably in trade box?) 1" AR one piece cantilevered optic mount (For the Nikon Active Target Special 3-9x40 I bought for him for last years birthday).

[Image: 41414380612_6c312f4cda_b.jpg]Dad’s upper build by ., on Flickr

[Image: 41414380622_96af53cd9c_b.jpg]Dad’s upper build by ., on Flickr

[Image: 41414380472_7fa3b13286_b.jpg]Dad’s upper build by ., on Flickr

After doing this, I will be doing it again. There is something special about slowly buying parts or watching for parts at a great deal that's fun and rewarding when doing so for yourself. It takes on an entirely new meaning when you're doing it for someone else. There were and are a lot of emotions that are wrapped up in preparing for and building this upper. And knowing that at the end of it you're giving it away makes things more rewarding by far.

The build process for this was entirely too easy, as the only real work involved was truing the receiver. This one, was amazingly nearly perfect, so that took like 20 seconds, literally. I bedded the extension with Loctite blue, and the gas block with red. I was disappointed to be done with the assembling of it quickly. Over-all, it's a really nice little upper. Light, compact, and seems like it will make a good American game carbine. Hopefully he likes Grendel as much as I think he will.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
#2
Thanks for posting, some how I bet your Dad likes his new upper!
Reply
#3
Good for you.
Reply
#4
Interesting handguard, I like it.......
I am sure Dad will enjoy it.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ― George Orwell
Reply
#5
Nicely done on all accounts.
Reply
#6
This is awesome ks. I'm doing something similar with my dad only his isn't a surprise. We are both building complete rifles for the first time (fingers crossed next weekend assuming Mother Nature lets us get out of our house on the weekend here in northern Iowa). I don't know how many times I heard him say tell me whatever you like since it will be yours someday anyways. Finally had to tell him that if that's the case I want it to be exactly what YOU want! We've been looking forward to this all winter. It's been a lot of fun talking about different parts and trying to figure out what we both want. Finally decided on a 20" barrel for me and a 22" barrel for him from a friend of his who actually manufactures barrels so he gave us a great deal on them so hopefully they are both shooters! This is awesome and I'm sure your dad will have a blast!
Reply
#7
Cherish these times spent with your fathers because someday these memories will be all you will have. My father was my best friend and he passed away last October. I miss him so much.
Reply
#8
Dang 1shot sorry to hear that. I dread that day and can't imagine what it will be like without him. That has a lot to do with us both building them together. Between me getting older and starting my own family we've got to spend a lot less time together then we used to. Makes stuff like this that much more special though. My wife is going to take pictures of the whole build so my kids and someday grand kids will be able to see them!
Reply
#9
So, circumstances being what they've been for both of us the last year, yesterday was the first time we could get him together with his rifle at the range. It's going to be a shooter. He's extatic, which makes things even better.

It was the first time he remembers ever shooting past 100 yards. We took it to 200 yesterday, and will be stretching it's legs much further soon. He has decided we need to clear our schedules more often. Yessir.

85 degrees, winds 11-3 o clock switching and gusty 15-25. Hornady Black.

First 10 rounds through the upper. Left group first, low shot was the cold bore and the first round through the upper. The next 5 are with the same aiming point.

[Image: 48414967612_eee6da6891_c.jpg]Untitled by ., on Flickr

Next we adjusted 12 clicks up for a rough 200 yard zero; And of course the winds picked up quite a bit. The next 4 in the mag went on the next dot to the right.

[Image: 48414967632_54c7487006_c.jpg]Untitled by ., on Flickr

Folks, those are 1/2" dots I use when doing load development for my CM. That's my thumb. He didn't think we needed a picture. SMH... Dad, we're not leaving without a picture. Sit tight sir. Be right back.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
#10
1Shot Wrote:Cherish these times spent with your fathers because someday these memories will be all you will have. My father was my best friend and he passed away last October. I miss him so much.
True words of wisdom there.Listen and have no regrets!
Lost mine on 12-15-04. Not a day goes by that I do not think of him.
Reply
#11
Nicely done Ks! Paying back the roots that brought you. Never a bad decision finding another reason to spend time with family.
Yard work is not an excuse!
Reply
#12
Well done K and I am sure he is proud to have you! I wish I could have done what you have done but time ran out for my father.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)