Jasunderland Wrote:My goal is next year to take a White tail out to 400 yards (which is where they all were this year and my old 35 Remington just cant make it that far).
Thanks guys!
Welcome aboard! Your story is almost identical to my own. The best buck I've ever seen was a few years ago on WIHA public hunting here in KS. He stood at ~400 yards staring at me when I had my 3-9 scoped BCM 5.56 in hand and I couldn't ethically take the shot.
Are you asking about flash hiders specifically, or muzzle devices generally? I've personally used a 7.62 A2, and a SiCO tri-prong, for flash hiders. I've also used a SiCO ASR brake, and more recently the Larue Tranquillo 65 brake. I intend on using the Larue suppressor which drove the change. I found the tri-prong to work well, slightly better than the A2. Both were satisfactory. The Larue seems to out perform the ASR in both muzzle taming and back blast. I would recommend it even if one was not using the suppressor. If I wasn't using a suppressor, but wanted a good piece for both purposes, I've been looking toward the Aero Gamma. I may go ahead and put one on my BCM to replace the A2 on it. I really like the aesthetics and quality of the piece. My buddy has on on his 7.62, and it seems to do a very good job at both FH and brake functions, though it is intended as more of a brake than a FH.
As far as a gas block, the Grendel is really low pressure, so I would say any quality piece would suffice well. Are you wanting an adjustable? You never mentioned budget, but from your list of parts, there are several brands that guys have mentioned they get good use from. JP makes a good clamp style block, SLR is a quality block as well, Superlative makes a great adjustable. To keep the costs down on my builds I used a Seekins adjustable (which turned out to be overkill, I never closed it down), and more recently have used a DiamondHead steel nitride set screw block and it works perfectly. If it wasn't for that block being on sale for $15, I would have bought a BCM low profile set-screw with confidence. I personally wouldn't start with an adjustable block unless you intend on your build being run suppressed with cans known to increase or change the system pressures and timing significantly. I don't think the clamp/set screw is much of a fight for Grendel due to the low pressures and typically lower rates of fire over the other caliber ARs; and both types work well if assembled correctly. I personally bed with blue, set the screws with red, and have never had an issue with my set screw pieces. I buy from known brands and like Nitrided blocks, personally I think the finish of the blocks is more important than the way they are affixed to the barrel. Grendel was designed to work well with typical gas systems and lengths similar to the 5.56/223 systems and works well in my experience wide open with a carbine buffer on all three of the main gas lengths. Given the barrel you mention, I am assuming rifle length gas? Is it dimpled for a set screw style from Faxon?
My BCM Recce uses a set screw style, and personally I think if those guys trust them, I probably would do fine doing the same...
My two cents, take it with what salt you feel it's worth. I am excited to see your build take shape, and your impression of the Grendel. Take your time, you seem well researched as far as parts. Honestly the Grendel typically performs so well that these two parts are minor in the long run. Grendel is easy to build well; read here on the forum about truing your receiver, bedding your barrel and gas block, and ask questions as you have done here. Again, welcome - and sit down and stay a while!
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.