Odin barrel bulging brass sticking
#1
Just installed a Odin works 20" 6.5 Grendel . Just went to shoot it and Hornady sst and federal 90gr varmint brass bulged the hole length of the case except a mil or 2 by the primer end and is sticking so bad we can barely pull it out with charging handle ( won't gas eject ). We done the method of checking the chamber by using unfired cartridge upside down and it didn't fall all the way down ,but did go further than half way. Supposedly if it falls most of the way the chamber is bad . I heard that last Sept Odin had a recall on Grendel barrels because of chamber issues and bulging brass . Does anyone have any information on this , the place I bought it at is sending me a shipping label to send it back . Could this be old stock from the bad batch ? Should I contact Odin instead ? Also , gas block should be aligned correctly via Odin's gas tube alignment marker on barrel and lots of air moved down the tube via my mouth and out the receiver end .
Reply
#2
Sounds like you might have gotten old stock as I have not read of any recent issues with any Odin products. If the vendor takes care of the problem I feel sure the vendor will deal with Odin. As long as I was satisfied with the vendor customer service I probably wouldn't contact Odin.

Maybe someone else will chime in that got one of the early out of spec Odin barrels. Every manufacture or vendor experience occasional problems but it is how they handle these problems determines the worth of the company IMHO.
Reply
#3
If I remember correctly Odin had customers from the bad batch put a factory round in the chamber upside down, and if it's one of the bad ones it would go in completely? There is a post or a site with pictures as well.

One thing is for sure is Odin will come good for it if you contact them, awesome customer support.
Reply
#4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9222[/ATTACH]

I recently built a couple with 20" Odin DMR profile barrels, both checked out fine. Could be some old stock from the recall, either way if it is bulging cases I'd send it back.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
Reply
#5
-Justin- Wrote:[ATTACH=CONFIG]9222[/ATTACH]

I recently built a couple with 20" Odin DMR profile barrels, both checked out fine. Could be some old stock from the recall, either way if it is bulging cases I'd send it back.
I was just posting what Justin said and both mine are good, They are a good company to deal with so I would contact them if you have problems with the vendor you bought from.
Reply
#6
VASCAR2 Wrote:Sounds like you might have gotten old stock as I have not read of any recent issues with any Odin products. If the vendor takes care of the problem I feel sure the vendor will deal with Odin. As long as I was satisfied with the vendor customer service I probably wouldn't contact Odin.

Maybe someone else will chime in that got one of the early out of spec Odin barrels. Every manufacture or vendor experience occasional problems but it is how they handle these problems determines the worth of the company IMHO.

The website I purchased it from was very prompt on sending return info . I hope they replace it . I'm sending back the bulging brass with it . The website was DS arms . It's the first time I've delt with them so I hope they will do me right . I'm guessing it will take about 3 weeks or hopefully less to get it back . I also have a lilja barrel that we compared the brass with the Odin brass . The lilja had a barely noticeable bulge/line at the rim end where the brass meets the bolt ( this is normal ) the Odin brass was totally opposite , bulge most of the length , except near rim area ( webbing ) and very noticeable .
Reply
#7
Looks like DS arms is good to go . They just sent a New Odin works barrel back to me . It took right at 4 weeks ( not bad ). They also sent a new in box bolt carrier too , which I bought originally​ with the barrel and returned it just in case . I'm gonna assemble it tomorrow and shoot, then inspect brass . Surely I got a good one this time I hope . The original barrel must have had a bad chamber , because no calls or email questions were sent to me . They did say at the beginning of the return process that their in house gun smith would inspect it .
Reply
#8
Doesn't Odin test fire their barrels before sending them out? This is so far out of spec it is hard to understand.
Reply
#9
bj139 Wrote:Doesn't Odin test fire their barrels before sending them out? This is so far out of spec it is hard to understand.

I would venture to say no, my DSArm/Odin 16" complete upper most certainly was not test fired or they did a phenomenal job cleaning it prior to shipment. A buddy of mine got the same in the 18" length and he said that the gas port had booger hanging from it that he could see when looking down the bore. He simply knocked it off with a cleaning rod, said the sliver came right off.
Reply
#10
I doubt it was test fired . Way too clean looking . I shot it sat and saw no signs of bulging and ejected perfectly . Groups weren't the best but still breaking in .
Reply
#11
In barrel manufacturing, the barrels are generally not test fired. If a complete rifle or upper is built then everyone is checked with go/no go guages.
For barrels, there is generally a special tool used by the machinists and quality control to check each chamber for correctness, this is done for every barrel at the time of manufacture, and a certain percentage of each lot at random.
Generally, when a bad batch of barrels get out, it is a failure at different levels in following process.
Reply
#12
Same setup and same problem. Turns out it was under gassed. Had to back the gas block adjustment screw almost all the way out to fix it.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)