Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Hello Horde,
Anybody out there got some ideas on what could cause this issue. The bullet just seems to be missing the chamber as its being loaded. I've tried both ASC and Elander mags, and the problem seems to show up only once the magazines are on the last 7 or 8 rounds. Seems to happen most often when feeding from the left side, but it has happened on both sides. Maybe open up the outside of the barrel extension feed ramps? What do you all think?
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Did this just start? Is it with any ammunition? Does it fully lock back on empty (with the bolt lugs behind the follower)?
It is a little difficult to tell, but it appears that the bolt is riding over the case.
Just a wag, but it could be short stroking. (Under gassed due to undersized gas port or misaligned gas block).
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Hi Nuggin....its hard to tell from the picture, but the bolt is behind the case. It locks the bolt back everytime and ejects at 3 oclock.
Posts: 241
Threads: 8
Joined: Jun 2014
Can't see from the pictures. M4 feed ramps on the receiver and not the barrel extension?
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Hi rwh, I believe that there are M4 ramps on both upper and extension, and they seem well blended. It doesn't seem to have problems with handloads, just the wolf steel cased. Unfortunately, I put this thing together just to run that ammunition!
Posts: 181
Threads: 12
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Terrywick, I had smoothed out the extractor when I put the rifle together. I suppose its a possible cause....if it hangs up on the extractor does that usually cause the bullet to miss lining up with the chamber?
Posts: 26
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2016
The friend that talked me into my recent 6.5 had the same problem. In the end, and after several pictures and a video , he determined the front of the mag lips were too high and allowing the case to rise too high too soon. A simple downward tweak of the front of the lips and it is 100% reliable now. Just a thought. BTW, I have had to do the same on some of my old M1 Carbine mags.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
What buffer are you using. The Wolf steel case is not loaded very hot. If your running an H-2 or H-3 buffer I would try a lighter buffer. I'd be surprised if the E-Lander feed lips were out of spec. The E-Lander mags are pretty stout, ASC or original C Products are not near as rigid.
The only reason I could see why you start getting feeding failures with 7 or 8 rounds left is heat. I'd be sure to run the BCG wet.
Posts: 376
Threads: 21
Joined: May 2014
Try changing out to a couple of different mags and see what the results are. I think Bisley may have the fix here.
""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
Posts: 181
Threads: 12
Joined: Sep 2014
GSPHunter Wrote:Terrywick, I had smoothed out the extractor when I put the rifle together. I suppose its a possible cause....if it hangs up on the extractor does that usually cause the bullet to miss lining up with the chamber?
Yes, it keeps the round from seating square in the bolt. this happened several years back and there are several failure to feed forums. here is a pic from on that fixed my problem.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8184[/ATTACH]
here is another thread.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-With-Pics
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Bisley, I think you may have hit the cause :-) I adjusted the lips on an Elander mag to be roughly parrallel. It ran clean starting with 10 rounds twice today....time will tell. Thank you for the advice!
Posts: 26
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2016
Glad to be of help, and glad hear it is running at full speed. Nothing worse than random jamming. Happy shooting