The Honeymoon Is Over
#1
I took the Grendel out for the second time this afternoon. Previously the gun ran flawless, with 40 rounds of 120gr PPU and 13 rounds of 123gr SST.

I have two of the 10-round Stoner magazines, as I wanted to find a well-functioning combination before I invested in a bunch of one brand. On the initial outing, I ran both magazines with at least 6 or 7 rounds at one time through each. Both didn’t hiccup.

This time out, I thought that I had left one of the mags at home and only had one with me. After I got home I realized I had both. With the one magazine, I first fired off 3 rounds groups for the first 20 or so rounds. When I loaded the magazine with 5 rounds, the second round didn’t feed and jammed the round into the upper wall, just below the feed ramps. The cartridge never fully left the magazine. After that, I loaded this magazine with 5 rounds each time and every time there was the same issue of failure to feed, with the round hitting the receiver wall and jamming the bolt open. I was using the 120gr PPU ammo.

Not sure if anyone here has had problems with Stoner magazines, but I am thinking this particular magazine needs some work. Any advice, wisdom, or experience is welcomed!
It sucks living an hour and a half away from a good outdoor range, as I would like see if I am having the same problem using the other magazine in the next day or so. It looks like I might have to wait a week or two just to see if this is an isolated problem with this magazine.

Overall, I really like shooting this Grendel cartridge, it really performs well!
Reply
#2
There were reported problems with early C Products and ASC manufactured magazines which were sold as Stoner brand from Midway. I'm not sure who supplies the Stoner 6.5 Grendel mags at this time but last I heard it was ASC. My C Products and ASC 5 round mags only hold 4 rounds in the mag. A few poster state their mags hold 5 rounds but many people have filed the legs of the follower or trimmed a few coils off the spring to allow the fifth round to be loaded. The last ASC mags I bought a couple years ago had a gummy substance on the interior of the mag. I cleaned the inside of the body and spring which made the mags operate smoother. I haven't modified any of my C Products or ASC mags but I can only get 9 rounds in my 10 round mags, 14 in my 15 round mags and only 24 in my 25 round 6.5 Grendel mags.

Here is a link to a custom search for the 6.5 Grendel forum, you can research further if you need additional information.

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=01636...cu1o&hl=en
Reply
#3
Did the bolt go over the cartridge?

If so, it might be your ejector.

This is why I like to hand-fit the AR15 when doing a build, especially when BTHP ammunition will be used. It applies to any caliber, including .223 Rem/5.56 NATO.

A lot of the time, the feed ramps from the barrel extension hang over the feed ramps in the upper receiver, which can present a major snag point for the meplats of hollow point ammunition. (Meplat is the tip of the projectile)

Another point is the ejector face. I radius/chamfer the ejector face to prevent the case rim from getting stuck on the side of a production ejector, which are often very sharp at the face.

These techniques have been done by hi-power shooters for a long time now, especially with the PPC-based cartridges in the AR15, but are also used on .223 and .308.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#4
Is the mis feed only happening when the next cartridge is on a specific side of the mag? E.g. next round on right side of mag, feeds fine. Next round on left, round won't chamber?

Loading up the mag and pushing cartridges out with your thumb (as the bolt would) should make any problem areas with the feed lips apparent.
Confusing as these mags worked in the past
Reply
#5
VASCAR2, Thank you for providing some helpful background on the Stoner/ACS magazines. These were purchased from Midway and are ACS with the Stoner branding. These are 10-rounders and each will accept all 10 rounds. The spring and follower are tight and might need some working to smooth out the feeding.

LRRPF52, I am not sure where you find the time in your day, but your participation on this forum and the knowledge you bring is mighty impressive! I thank you for this free knowledge and hope to be in a position to help others like you have unselfishly done here!

The bolt does not go over the cartridge. The malfunction only seems to happen when the magazine has more than 3 round loaded. This is why I am focused on the magazines at this time. These magazines have edges that need smoothing out and the spring and follower need some repetitions and oil to help with smoother feeding. I am also concerned that the front lip of the magazine could be catching on the hollow point meplat. I would like to take a little off of the front edge and smooth it out. This is where I suspect the issue is.

The feed ramps are not exactly flush/smooth with the receiver ramps, but this is not there the round is jamming. They seem to have a good transition, but if I am feeling confident in my Dremel skills, I might try and smooth them out.

Bill257, I think you are on to something! I have loaded the magazines and the left side seems to snag more often with the thumb test. I am concerned that the angle of release has something to do with it too. It seems that the more ammo loaded causes the cartridge to stay flat, not a slight upward tip. I believe I can resolve this by taking a little off the front edge of the magazine.

I am a firm believer in purchasing quality magazines. I do like the Magpul line for my other AR’s (not to start a Magpul debate), as I have never had an issue with one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for quality 6.5 Grendel magazines?

Cheers,
TV
Reply
#6
TropicalVibe Wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for quality 6.5 Grendel magazines?

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Magazin...ander.html

They are not cheap but they work perfect. At least the 4 I got do. Much better than my C Products and AR Stoner mags. They are junk.
Reply
#7
koden, thanks for the link and first hand experience with these magazines! It's unfortunate that California does not allow me to have mags larger than 10-rounds... I would be all over these.
Reply
#8
TropicalVibe Wrote:koden, thanks for the link and first hand experience with these magazines! It's unfortunate that California does not allow me to have mags larger than 10-rounds... I would be all over these.

Not cool, so basically you're stuck with low-quality mags because they don't make the higher quality ones in lower capacity? Sheesh. Good old CA law.
Reply
#9
I would get a couple 10 rounders from Alexander Arms. They tune the mags so there are no feeding issues (supposedly).
Reply
#10
BigBC, you know the drill. We are not allowed to own anything here, unless you get permission from the King! Makes me wonder why I spent so much time in the Persian Gulf fighting for the rights of others, only to come home and have my rights infringed upon. Oh well, 10-rounds at a time.
Reply
#11
koden, I will give them a call before I order them to see if they QC before they go out the door. Thanks again!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)