Posts: 23
Threads: 9
Joined: Feb 2015
Took my new Grendel build (American Spirit side-charger w/Stoner barrel & bolt) to the range & using AA mags, it would jam the first round against the barrel extension. After I cleared it, it would feed fine. Any ideas why?
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
What type of ammo, what type of malfunction?
If the meplat of a hollow point gets stuck riding up the feed ramps, it usually happens on the lip of the extension feed ramps that is overhanging the ramps in the upper.
This is why I personally hand-fit the AR15.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 23
Threads: 9
Joined: Feb 2015
Happens with both PPU 120 gr hp & Hornady A-Max. As I said tip of round jams against barrel extension fwd. of locking lugs.
Posts: 271
Threads: 2
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
Joined: Oct 2015
is the magazine locking tight in the well?
Posts: 23
Threads: 9
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 214
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2015
Have you radiused the ejector pin? Sounds like the rim of the cartridge is hanging up on the ejector pin.
Posts: 23
Threads: 9
Joined: Feb 2015
Cartridge is not even engaging bolt face at time of jam. Strips from mag & angles up into bbl extension.
Posts: 214
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2015
Post a pic of the malf. If you can please.
Posts: 23
Threads: 9
Joined: Feb 2015
Wish I could, sigh... Tail of round is just coming out of mag & nose is against barrel extension. I think I'm going to change out the spring on the chance that the bolt velocity is too slow.
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
Joined: Oct 2015
Is the buffer spring binding?
Posts: 23
Threads: 9
Joined: Feb 2015
Not that I can tell, but if it was why would this occur only on the first round?
Posts: 1,691
Threads: 18
Joined: Feb 2013
You aren't binding the mag by putting that last round in there are you? Iirc, I caused a malfunction with one of mine by loading one too many. Plus, there are many guys on here that report being able to use only 4 out of a 5 rounder or 9 in a 10 rounder ....
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
Sounds like the mag is holding on to the projectile too long. I usually fill my mags and let them sit for a few days before I use them. I have also ran into a few mags that I could not load to capacity, those end up being range mags.