Posts: 18
Threads: 7
Joined: Jul 2015
I need a bolt carrier group for my 14.5 saber upper. This will be serving as my hunting rifle for hogs and probably a few south Tx does. Is the hard use bolt from AA overkill? Also are all of the other parts of the BCG standard parts or are there upgrades I should make?
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
All the other BCG parts are standard. The AA hard use bolt is probably a better option with the Saber 14.5" upper if you have a CLGS.
Just stick with a Mil-Spec bolt carrier and parts would be my recommendation.
If you're in a more humid part of the Country, you might want Cerakote Micro-slick on your Bolt Carrier.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 18
Threads: 7
Joined: Jul 2015
Pretty dry here in south Texas. Thanks for the response I never expected one so quick.
Posts: 109
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2014
Hi Dope6.5, I run a AA hard use bolt, with a chromed m16 carrier on my Sabre Defense 14.5 upper. It showed a some swiping with the ar15 carrier, and switching to the heavier carrier cured most of the swiping. Here in Fairbanks, I think being overgassed is better than under, but if I lived in Texas, a heavier buffer might be in order. Hope you enjoy your rifle, mine fits the boat/truck gun role really well and is a blast to shoot.
Posts: 255
Threads: 19
Joined: Sep 2015
i just finished up a sabre 14.5" pinned for 16" and using the stock .135 deep bolt. i'll have to check the buffer but i think it is a h2 from one of my 7.62x39 lowers-
so far it is smooth and pretty much faultless. so far i'm not seeing the absolute need to run fancy pants X-_heavy buffers ect as much as i did with the 7.62x39 and 6.8
you might want to run a slightly heavy buffer -- that is if you don't have a h2 or something like it all ready.