Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New Build, Range Report
#1
Well, I finally got the chance to fire off the new Grendel that I built. It all started with a sale on Stoner barrels that Midway ran back in April. I had done tons of reading and information gathering on what I wanted to add to my collection of long guns. The 6.5 G seemed like the perfect blend of the 5.56 and 308 AR’s that I currently own. I really liked the idea that I could get the 6.5 size, BC, and long range accuracy in an AR15 platform.

The night before was like Christmas Eve, I couldn’t sleep thinking of all the new tests that I needed to run on my first build. I was really hopeful that the gun functioned properly and didn’t fall apart or blow up in my hands.

The first task was to get the adjustable gas block set. This is my first, and not last adjustable gas block and I went with the SLR Sentry 7. I opened it up three clicks and fired my shot. Gun went bang (THANK YOU GUN GODS), but no lock back on the bolt. Next, I opened it up three more clicks (total of 6). Gun went bang and bolt locked back. This time I inspected the brass and found a little ding on the sidewall, so I dialed it back one click (total of 5 open clicks). Gun went bang, BCG locked back, 3:30 ejection, and no brass dent! I was stoked to have a functioning weapon!

Next up on the list of experiments was getting the new Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X scope sighted in. I had bore sighted at 25 yards at home, so I was hopeful that hitting paper at 50 yards was not going to be an issue. First shot, hit about 4 inches low and right. This was not what I was wanting, as the scope was already adjusted up and now I am burning more upward adjustment. I really wanted the scope to have a lot more upward slack for longer distance zero adjustments At 100 yards my first three shots were high, so I brought the scope down to final zero. I only have 6.5 MILS of upward adjustments left. If I get my zero at 200, I hope to get a little back in upward movement, maybe ½ MIL. For now, I was hitting paper and grouping PPU 120Gr factory ammo to my standards.

Now was time to try chrono testing on the PPU and Hornady ammo. Fired the remaining PPU ammo from my initial 20 rounds and got an avg. of 2425fps from my 18” barrel. Not sure what to think of those numbers, as PPU states 2,675fsp from a 24 inch barrel. I will go with it, as this was the data that was from my gun. I was surprised at the groups, as they seemed to stay within an inch.

It was now time to try the Hornady 123Gr SST. I shot 10 of those and these averaged 2502fps. This is what I expected as advertised by Hornady. These also grouped well at about one inch or less at 100 yards. I did need to adjust for the velocity and ammo on my zero from the PPU.
Finally I wanted to run a box of the PPU and see if I could get back to zero quickly. I shot the entire 20 rounds, and made small adjustments along the way. I was satisfied with the results, as you can see in the picture. The velocity average for the 20 rounds was 2427fps.

All-in-all, it was a productive day at the range and I had a blast shooting a gun that I built with my own two hands. The recoil is a little more than the 5.56, but much less than the 308. My 10-year old will like that! Not one malfunction and the weapon and I made it home in one piece. I am confident that I have my zero set now, and future shooting will produce sub-MOA results!

Cheers for now!
TV
Reply
#2
Nice build and range report.

I recommend to anyone that is interested in shooting distance with pretty much any caliber to invest in a 20 MOA scope base for starters. That gives you 5.8 Mils of extra elevation right off the bat, some of which might be taken up by the tolerance stack of your mechanical components.

Your velocity data is right on track for what we have seen with the cartridge and those projectile weights. Your 123gr SST speeds are a little faster than normal.

One thing I do with all my barrels is insert the cartridges I intend to shoot into the chamber before assembly, and seat them fully forward with my finger, then turn the muzzle up and see if the cartridge will gravity drop into my hand.

If it doesn't, something is tight and might be an issue. If it falls out with a little tap into my hand, probably not a big deal.

If I need a cleaning rod to get it out, the chamber is probably too short.

I have a wide array of barrels to test, so I know what right looks like vs. wrong.

The 120gr PPU and 123gr SST factory loads drop free from all my pipes currently, except for one, and that chamber still allows easy manual extraction.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#3
Nice shooting! How do you you like the Weaver 3x10 GS?
Reply
#4
TropicalVibe Wrote:Well, I finally got the chance to fire off the new Grendel that I built. It all started with a sale on Stoner barrels that Midway ran back in April. I had done tons of reading and information gathering on what I wanted to add to my collection of long guns. The 6.5 G seemed like the perfect blend of the 5.56 and 308 AR’s that I currently own. I really liked the idea that I could get the 6.5 size, BC, and long range accuracy in an AR15 platform.

The night before was like Christmas Eve, I couldn’t sleep thinking of all the new tests that I needed to run on my first build. I was really hopeful that the gun functioned properly and didn’t fall apart or blow up in my hands.

The first task was to get the adjustable gas block set. This is my first, and not last adjustable gas block and I went with the SLR Sentry 7. I opened it up three clicks and fired my shot. Gun went bang (THANK YOU GUN GODS), but no lock back on the bolt. Next, I opened it up three more clicks (total of 6). Gun went bang and bolt locked back. This time I inspected the brass and found a little ding on the sidewall, so I dialed it back one click (total of 5 open clicks). Gun went bang, BCG locked back, 3:30 ejection, and no brass dent! I was stoked to have a functioning weapon!

Next up on the list of experiments was getting the new Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X scope sighted in. I had bore sighted at 25 yards at home, so I was hopeful that hitting paper at 50 yards was not going to be an issue. First shot, hit about 4 inches low and right. This was not what I was wanting, as the scope was already adjusted up and now I am burning more upward adjustment. I really wanted the scope to have a lot more upward slack for longer distance zero adjustments At 100 yards my first three shots were high, so I brought the scope down to final zero. I only have 6.5 MILS of upward adjustments left. If I get my zero at 200, I hope to get a little back in upward movement, maybe ½ MIL. For now, I was hitting paper and grouping PPU 120Gr factory ammo to my standards.

Now was time to try chrono testing on the PPU and Hornady ammo. Fired the remaining PPU ammo from my initial 20 rounds and got an avg. of 2425fps from my 18” barrel. Not sure what to think of those numbers, as PPU states 2,675fsp from a 24 inch barrel. I will go with it, as this was the data that was from my gun. I was surprised at the groups, as they seemed to stay within an inch.

It was now time to try the Hornady 123Gr SST. I shot 10 of those and these averaged 2502fps. This is what I expected as advertised by Hornady. These also grouped well at about one inch or less at 100 yards. I did need to adjust for the velocity and ammo on my zero from the PPU.
Finally I wanted to run a box of the PPU and see if I could get back to zero quickly. I shot the entire 20 rounds, and made small adjustments along the way. I was satisfied with the results, as you can see in the picture. The velocity average for the 20 rounds was 2427fps.

All-in-all, it was a productive day at the range and I had a blast shooting a gun that I built with my own two hands. The recoil is a little more than the 5.56, but much less than the 308. My 10-year old will like that! Not one malfunction and the weapon and I made it home in one piece. I am confident that I have my zero set now, and future shooting will produce sub-MOA results!

Cheers for now!
TV

Those results are basically dead on with what I saw with the first grendel build I did with an 18" stoner barrel from midway.
Reply
#5
LRRPF52, I appreciate you taking the time to reply and provide good information! I did a barrel test on the ammo, as i do with all new weapons. The rounds did chamber and fall out with no effort. Next up is reloading, so expect an order for Grendel Reloaders Handbook this week.

Jim Bob, the Weaver is a good deal for the money. It seems to be a solid build and the glass is clear. Make no mistake this is a budget scope, and I am thinking to upgrade after I get a few more sessions under my belt. For now, I think the MIL/MIL functionality is the way to go. I will do a box test next time i am at the range and report back.

1911Man, I like the profile of the barrel and it came with a matching bolt for $270. All of the reviews were good, except one guy was having issues with the gas block not fitting. I initially ordered the Sentry 7 with the set screw, as the barrel is dimpled. I had the same issue as him, so I got SLR to exchange it for the clam on. So far, so good.

Thanks again for all of the comments!
Reply
#6
PPUs velocity claims are, shall we say, optimistic? Your velocity with PPU is what I would expect. Nice report!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)