Getting the right brake for my barrel and can.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wnphunter
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2015

Getting the right brake for my barrel and can.

I'm new to the AR world as well as the world of suppressors, but as with everything else, I'm jumping in head first.
    I've ordered an Alexander Arms SC Hunter with an 18" barrel. They only come with 9/16 x 24 threading..period. No options.
    I've also ordered an Omega suppressor from Silencerco, which of course has to go on a 5/8 thread.
    I've talked to 10 people and gotten 10 different answers as to what is the best way to match up the suppressor with the barrel. Do I need an adapter, then a brake, or do I just need an adapter to go from 9/16 to 5/8?
    What I have decided to do, on the advice from Silencerco, is get an Omega Trifecta brake in 7.62 9/16 x 24 which has the 5/8 threading for the suppressor to go on.
    My main question is will that 7.62 thread onto my AA barrel?
    Even the guy at AA couldn't or wouldn't tell me. He just said that if the guy at Silencerco said it was right, then listen to him.
    My rifle arrives in a couple of weeks, and the can soon after hopefully. I just want to be prepared.
    I've also heard about modifications needing to be made on the rifle in order for it to function properly while suppressed ??
    Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Most suppressor companies make a 9/16x24 brake. Adaptors are a really bad idea because of the increased risk of baffle strike from mis alignment.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wnphunter
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2015

I have the 9/16 brake already, but it's a 7.62.
      Will that fit properly on my barrel, or is the only thing to be concerned with is that it's a 9/16 threading.
      Should it be a 6.5 , 9/16 ? Silencerco said they don't make one like that. That the 7.62 will do the job.??

Comment

• Adam Lilja
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

If you're talking about the bore diameter, then yes, 7.62 will be fine.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by wnphunter View Post
          I have the 9/16 brake already, but it's a 7.62.
          Will that fit properly on my barrel, or is the only thing to be concerned with is that it's a 9/16 threading.
          Should it be a 6.5 , 9/16 ? Silencerco said they don't make one like that. That the 7.62 will do the job.??
          If your muzzle device/suppressor adaptor has the 9/16 thread on the female end, put it on your barrel and rock on. It's very typical to use 7.62mm suppressors on 6.5mm, 6.8mm, 6mm, and even 5.56 to some degree.

I agree that adding another adaptor in the mix is a bad idea. You could always send your barrel to a competent gunsmith to be cut shorter and threaded to 5/8x24. You shouldn't lose anymore than an inch.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X