X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheOTHERmaninblack
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Nukes, tone down the meds, man! Everything you've posted in this thread could easily have been posted-- and in a much more coherent manner-- without the hyperbole.

When you look into what Reagan did or did not accomplish, you HAVE to view it through the filter of the national government at the time. He was up against a Democrat controlled Congress fully entrenched. The successes he had in that environment were pretty astounding to us who were watching back then.

The 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act was widely viewed as a great victory in the gun community. Compared to the '68 act, it was flowers and butterflies. The decision to sign it despite the last second machinegun ban was a difficult one, but the consensus was that-- with the way things were turning-- we needed to take what we could get (the other protections) and worry about the machinegun clause later. At the time, IIRC, we weren't even that worried. We figured that it would be easy to strip that thing away as part of a later bill (which we expected within a couple of years)

Sadly, GHW Bush boned us all on that score. I had a .308 Galil actually on its way to the gun shop with my name on it when he signed that AW ban. Needless to say, within a couple of minutes, that $500 rifle became a $1200 rifle, and I never did get it.

Comment

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

I am so done with this! Closed!

So is the 2A Forum until further notice.

Comment

Working...
        X