Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new twist in the "open carry" battle

This was a thread over at Indiana Gun Owners forum
    Now this is a story I can get behind.............or in front of. I was going to put this in the "Carry Issues and Self Defense" section because of the "Open Carry" implications but figured it would get tossed over here anyway. Worcester woman fights for the right to bare breasts |...

On the streets of Worcester, some residents have done a double take, questioning whether they really saw a woman walking or biking around town topless.

While this topic might suffer from "utter fatigue", this is an attempt to put a little humor into what might be a serious discussion. From a libertarian point of view, there is little difference between the two issues.
    Last edited by bwaites; 09-04-2013, 03:47 AM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Hmmm......Humorous, yes. Not exactly appropriate for the forum, as well.

I'll leave the 3 links up, because they make the point, but the links to topless sites I've pulled, because this is a family site, and some parents don't necessarily feel its an issue for their children at their stage of development.

And yes, from a libertarian POV, there is little difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      Hmmm......Humorous, yes. Not exactly appropriate for the forum, as well.

I'll leave the 3 links up, because they make the point, but the links to topless sites I've pulled, because this is a family site, and some parents don't necessarily feel its an issue for their children at their stage of development.

And yes, from a libertarian POV, there is little difference.
      I only pulled the links from the Indiana forum. The debate there was a twist on the concept of "open carry".

It is interesting that our society is pushing in all of these directions. While the fight to bare all is a more libertarian one, something that was not at the founding of the country even though we did have a period from 1790 to 1840 (and the 1920 and 1960s) that was a bit libertine, gun rights have been there from the beginning.

In many ways those who founded our constitution wanted us to be a nation of warriors, to not have a warrior class or positions of privilege (titles of nobility). That no one would be seen as more noble merely by birth. That nobility came from achievement (sports, academics, work). That no one would be such in a position but would have opportunity to rise above his birth. Thus we were to train to be scholars (freedom of religion), diplomats (freedom of speech) and warriors (2nd amendment) so that we could form our beliefs, communicate them and defend them, if needed, from unjust oppression.

Gun rights are at our core of being individuals just as much as our being able to shape our beliefs or communicate them.

Comment

Working...
      X