X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

I own a Beowulf. It is a pig stopper and then some. Ammo is a bit spendy but it isn't a paper puncher. I use it for hunting and if lined up you can take more then two at a time. Shot placement isn't a big deal just be somewhere on target and watch them drop.

Also the preppers gun safety was very lax I couldn't believe they had those kids aiming what I thought to be loaded guns at LEO's

Comment

• Armored Transport

I shoot the 325's out of mine and I think it's a HOOT. Recoil isn't bad but I do have a quality break sitting here that is going on with in the next few weeks. I have not done any reloading yet but with all the 50 bullits out there it promises to be some fun in the future. But for now I have 3+ cases of the 325's I am looking forward to throwing around. I use the Beo. lower for my Grendel. It sports a PRS stock and an SSA trigger. I use the P.R.O. sight from Aimpoint on the 50 with a small Sig laser on the 9:00 rail. Both hold up fine to the recoil. I use the LBC handguard for the rail system on both the 50 and 6.5. Nice looking package for sure. When I get the break on the 50 I will snap a few of the pair and post them.

Comment

• Dogue
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
        I would like to watch that segment but I can't stomach the show anymore.
        I'm with you. I've tried to like it, even just for entertainment value, but I just can't bring myself to watch it.

I guess I'm not surprised at the people that are on this show...any 'smart' prepper wouldn't show his setup (or face) on TV.
        Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Y85 View Post
          off topic (sort of) -- but, anyone got experience w the Beowulf?
          The most attention getting rifle I have. Take it out at the range and people glance over and then go back to what they are doing.

Then the first shot, they start converging, saying, "WHAT WAS THAT?!!"

I use a Mako energy absorbing stock, with a Limbsaver recoil pad for shooters that are a little recoil sensitive. Works great, less recoil than a 12 gauge slug gun. I've been known to put 100-150 rounds downrange at a range session. My current Beo has about 800 rounds through it.

I've taken mine out to 400 yards without problems. It absolutely hammers steel at that range. No little "tink" its a resonant "bong". My son says it sounds like a ball peen hammer hitting the steel. You have to understand the ballistics. Its essentially a 45-70, and they use those to shoot at a mile. It isn't flat, but it gets there. I've not gone beyond 400, but I might take it to Boomershoot, and if the conditions are right, I might give it a try all the way up at 700.

Drop is easy to work out. Wind deflection is tougher, because none of these bullets are exactly efficient in the wind! Shooting the 300 grain FTX and with a 100 yard zero, it drops 529 inches at 700 yards, which is more than 40 feet! But it gets there, and is still chugging along at almost 800 FPS and putting out 400+ foot pounds of energy. That's more energy than a .45 at the muzzle.

The Beo is a honker of a round, and out to 300 yards, it will flat hammer whatever you shoot. Its not flat, but it gets there.
          Last edited by bwaites; 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Y85
            Warrior
            • Sep 2012

the AA uppers aren't horribly expensive -- anybody else (besides AA) make ammo? does it require special/modified mags?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Standard 5.56 mags work fine. I've shot Beo out of my PMags as well. Some metal mags need a little feed lip tweaking, since the Beo case is so wide that they are very slightly staggered in the case, and then presented at the top as a single. Some bullets won't feed in PMags because of the ridge inside the PMag.

AA is the only current factory loading. Brass is available from Starline for reloaders.

Most big bore shooters reload, because all three of the big bores....50 Beo, .458 Socom, and .450 Bushmaster....have had trouble with off the shelf ammo supplies. All three are very spotty in online stores and brick and mortar stores.

Comment

Working...
              X