• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heorot
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Newb from Texas

Hi All,
    I bought a PF upper last fall and started lurking around the forum soaking up the wealth of knowledge that is put forth by the members here. Thought it time for an intro.

Like I said got the upper last fall, put on it on a lower from my carbine, borrowed a 3x9 scope and mount from my AR10 and proceeded to zero it at the range with the intention of trying to deer hunt with it.

Here's the first 3 round group from 100 yds. after getting it sighted in. I'm not a precision shooter by any measure and was completely shocked by the accuracy and pleasant recoil. Needless to say, the Hornady A-Max's did their job and I ended up with 2 deer in the freezer. Both were DRT and fell over without taking a step.

Decided that the upper needed it's own lower and dedicated optics so when Mark offered the group buy on his forged lowers I was all in. Here's the specs for the build and a pic of the results.

- Precision Firearms Neptune V upper with 20" Bartlein barrel
    - Precision Firearms forged lower with Geissele trigger, Magpul MOE+ grip and MAGS EFX-A1 buttstock
    - LT 20 MOA mount and Vortex PST 6-24

Haven't started reloading for it yet, but have read Volume 2 of the Reloading Handbook cover to cover several times and along with the incredible amount of information from this forum have a pretty good idea of where to start.

Huge thanks to all for making such a great online community!!
    Last edited by Heorot; 03-17-2015, 01:56 AM.
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Looks like a winner! Welcome aboard!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      Looks like a winner!!
      Dang right it does! Welcome!
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard, and thanks for your comments about Volume II. Great to hear that you are having DRT performance with the 123gr A-MAX. There is a lot of confidence that comes from a rifle that shoots so well, exactly where you pint it, before breaking the shot through the vitals of your prey.

Interested to hear more about the deer in terms of shot placement and bullet performance.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Heorot
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

Would not have considered hunting with the A-MAX had it not been for the write up in Volume II and wisdom of the horde. Game Kings are my go to hunting bullets and have also used SSTs with devastating expansion, but few exit wounds.

Both deer were hit broadside behind the shoulder at around a hundred yards. Thru-n-thru both lungs, one was through the heart. Exit wounds a bit bigger in diameter than a golf ball. I would consider the bullet performance to be excellent in both cases.

You are absolutely right about the confidence that comes with knowing that the rifle you are using can deliver a projectile on target insuring a clean, ethical kill. It seems the Grendel is an ideal cartridge for Texas sized white tails. Hope to have a similar experience with feral hawgs.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Comment

Working...
          X