• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z28SS
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2015

New Grendel fan in Texas

New fan here. I have never been considered an accurate shooter. A 5" group at 100 yds. with anything was a very good day for me. I shot a lot of IPSC/USPSA local matches. And I was a big fan of 3-gun matches. For some reason, about the time I turned 60, I went dormant when it came to shooting anything. That was about 10 years ago. 2 years ago, a good friend showed me his new AR chambered with some weird cartridge. "Grendel?" Never heard of it. Funny looking bullet. 2 months ago he invited me to go to the range with him. I asked about the Grendel and he agreed to bring it along. As soon as we got to the range, I shot 4 rounds with it and I put it down. I quit for the day. Uh-oh. I didn't even try any of his other toys. I had shot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yds. without trying hard or really knowing anything about technique. Within a week, I had my own Grendel. Mine isn't anything exotic. An old AR lower that I already had and an upper built by a local FFL with a 18" Brownell's barrel. It is currently topped by a Leupold 3x9x40 scope. It has re-ignited my interest in shooting. I love that beast. I'm looking forward to gleaning lots of valuable information from the fine folks here.
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• RangerRick
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

Welcome Z!

Glad the Grendel lit your fire again.

There area ton of Texas Grendel owners on here. They should have lots of local info for you in addition to great general info from the rest of the guys.

RR

Comment

• olde sarge
        Warrior
        • May 2014

Welcome, Z28SS.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Welcome to the board!

We hear stories like yours often. Shoot one-own one.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Welcome back to the shooting sports - if you are also retired, it sure beats fishing and watching old re-runs of "I love Lucy"! Join/rejoin the NRA and do your part to support 2nd Amendment rights and help make sure you can continue to enjoy shooting the rest of your life. And watch your budget - it's easy to get "hooked" and start buying up gun accessories, reloading gear, lots of components, etc. Oh, what the hell, you can't take it with you, don't leave anything for the kids - go ahead and spend it all on yourself, LOL. Happy shooting.
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Z28SS
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2015

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, guys. The next step is trying to figure out handloads. The only thing I don't enjoy is the $1.00 per round thing. Oh yeah, and now I want more scope to see what I/we can do out at longer ranges. I shot a 3 shot group off of a bipod at 200 yds. and it was barely over an inch. Wahoo.

Comment

• danm
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

Greetings Camaro!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Hey maybe we have some things in common, I have two 6.5 Grendels and two Camaros. I guess both are kind of addictive. lol

Welcome to forum, bunch of great guys hang out here!

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Z28SS View Post
                    Thanks for all the warm welcomes, guys. The next step is trying to figure out handloads. The only thing I don't enjoy is the $1.00 per round thing. Oh yeah, and now I want more scope to see what I/we can do out at longer ranges. I shot a 3 shot group off of a bipod at 200 yds. and it was barely over an inch. Wahoo.
                    Uh oh, see, it's already started....If you have an "old AR lower", what trigger do you have in it? If it's a normal milspec type trigger, replacing that might be one of the best "upgrades" you could invest in. There is a link elsewhere on the site in regards to a trigger survey to give you some replacement ideas.
                    My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard and that's a nice story. It is a fun cartridge to shoot and watch your own hits with, especially on steel. I like that there is such low recoil, but a lot of energy on target.

There is a lot of reloading data available, and we have put together much of it here on the site.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Welcome in Z 28- man we can remember those old Camaros! Have fun with the round, you can always add a muzzle brake, to tame recoil impulses. StanC went thru this issue a month ago- OOOOpps, it hurts upon the jaw line-shoulder too., Have a bruther weld you to the bench, using 2lb sandbags- mine did it for me back in 09' I could not move at all.. Best groups That I ever sent downrange., GMX was the pill, back then it was the 100 grn unit . Much more to follow.

Comment

• Z28SS
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2015

My "old lower" did have a pretty good trigger. When I was shooting 3 gun, a friend installed a JP hammer/trigger set up in my match AR. I breaks just under #3. And I do have a muzzle brake already installed on the Grendel. I don't know how effective it is. It is a creation that was built locally. It doesn't look like anything else I have seen. Oh BTW, for those interested, the Camaro is a '96 Z28/SS SLP #824 and it has an LT4 motor. It was a basket case when I bought it.

Comment

Working...
                          X