X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSPHunter
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Welcome Yotatrd4x4, I've found the loading manuals really useful and interesting. Got a nice (~200lbs) cow caribou on Dec 1 from the 40 mile herd off the Steese using a load of 30.8gn of Leverevolution and a 123gn Hornady sst. The first shot was a complete pass through lung shot without hitting any bone. She took a couple of steps then laid down. I got a little nervous because she kept picking her head up and was only 2 feet from a pretty steep rocky hole, so I shot a second time, hitting her right hip and going up through the diapham. I believe the second bullet shattered when it hit the bone due to the massive damage and no exit hole along with no bullet found. I'm thinking that for moose you'll want to use a tougher bullet than the ballistic tip. Maybe barnes or partition. The 125 partition is most likely what I'm going to try next. Good Hunting!

Comment

• Yotatrd4x4
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2014

Yeah I am looking at the partition, the barnes tsx or ttsx, possibly a pro hunter or maybe a few other options. I will use a tough bullet for this rifle so as to be able to punch thru some bone or make a quartering shot if need be. Now I won't go thru a shoulder as I prefer not to ruin meat or worry about bullet penetration. Hopefully I can get a good accurate load here soon once I finish getting does, brass, and a few boxes of bullets.

Comment

Working...
      X