• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grunt4Life
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2014

New guy from the Hoosier State

Hello everyone. I'm Grunt4Life and as you can tell I'm one of those old hard-headed Infantry guys who loves nothing more than employing a weapon system and putting well placed rounds on target. I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps as an 0311 and am currently working towards retirement as an 11B in the Indiana Army National Guard.

I decided to start an AR build because the VA said I needed a hobby to help deal with some injuries from my last deployment, so I figured I would work on building a rifle that was accurate for the various hunting that I do and some long range plinking.

I did my research and came to the conclusion that the 6.5 Grendel was the caliber that I wanted. Thanks to LR52, I am well on my way to completing the components gathering and hope to begin assembly next weekend. The only thing that I actually need now is a good trigger group for hunting use and recreational range time....so, I am open to any suggestions from the group.
  • wideglidejoe
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Welcome, I only beat you here by a few days! Thank you for your service!!

I've got several Geissele's, I like them all. For your intended use, I like the SSA or SSA-E.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

Thanks for your service! Welcome.

I went with the SSA-E for my two dedicated lowers that are for precision shooting. It is hard to imagine you would be disappointed with that one.

Comment

• Grunt4Life
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2014

Thanks WGJ. I've been looking at the SSA and I'm just trying to get a feel of what works best for everyone.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Grunt4Life View Post
          Thanks WGJ. I've been looking at the SSA and I'm just trying to get a feel of what works best for everyone.
          Between the SSA and the SSA-E, I like the -E the best for long range/precision work, but everyone has different tastes and needs. You can't go wrong with either one, IMO.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

For two stage triggers you have Geissele, Chip McCormick Single stage Timney, Chip McCormick, Elftmann, these are just a few of what's out there.
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• olde sarge
              Warrior
              • May 2014

Welcome Grunt4Life, I went with a totally different trigger. Since it will be used for hunting most of the time I went single stage. I bought a Hiperfire Hipertouch 24E trigger. Since I am only a brief second ahead of you in my build I can't tell you how it will work out but while testing for function while assembling the lower I really liked the feel of it.

Comment

• Jakal
                Warrior
                • May 2014

SSA-E +1 on this build SSA's on all the others.
                ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing how your project develops. I personally like single stage triggers, but I have samples from several makers in my rifles.

JP set up by me
                  Tuned RRA 2-stage has a lot of unpredictable take up
                  Geissele SSA is very nice, even at their "low end" $200
                  The Timney 3.5lb single stage isn't bad, as long as the sear engagement is square

We're very spoiled these days with triggers.
                  Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-04-2014, 09:36 PM.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fredman
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Welcome G-4! I'm not much help on triggers, my experience is with Jewel two stage, and RRA national match and varmint.
                    Wasn't crazy about the Jewel. RRAs aren't bad for the price.
                    Good luck.

Comment

• Grunt4Life
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2014

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the feed back. Still not sure which way I'm going to go for sure, but for the time being I'm going to put the mil spec trigger in with JP light springs and do a polish job. Once I decide which way I want to go, I'll swap it out. For just $11 and a little light labor I can make a big improvement, get the build complete, and put some rounds down range. I may see about trying some different trigger out at the range as well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

If you're going that route, I would recommend bobbing your hammer, or getting the JP Speed Hammer, and still using the brown AR10 JP spring, especially for cold weather.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

Thanks for your service and sacrifice. I hope your injuries heal well with grendel therapy. You made a wise decision.

Ive got an alex arms single that isnt bad for hunting, got a timeny single stage that is pretty nice and a gieselle nation match two stage on my 223 that i really like.
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• aclark
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2011

I have the CMC 3.5# single stage and its awesome. They make a 4.5# and 5.5# if you want slightly heavier for hunting. Youre welcome to try it depending on location. I'm NWI.

Comment

• cbe1962
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2012

Thanks for your service and welcome to the Horde. I am a fellow Hoosier, in north central IN and have an SSA. If you are close, I am happy to let you have a go with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X