• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zane
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2014

First time Grendel builder new from indiana

Hey guys looking to learn on what's the best way to go with my first build.
  • olde sarge
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Welcome Zane, Lots of info available with the search and what you can't find someone will know.

Comment

• aclark
      Warrior
      • Dec 2011

Welcome Zane. I'm in NW Indiana and finally got my Grendel together this year. Love the round and the gun. Enjoy the forums.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Fredman
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Hey Zane! Welcome!

What do you want to use it for? Spray and pray? Shoot accurately out to 5-600yds? 1000?

I'm ordering parts to build an upper. Picked up a Shilen 20" barrel, ordered a Mega Megalithic upper, JP gas block, thinking about a JP bolt carrier and the silent buffer spring.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome. Will you be hunting or target shooting, or both? Do you want a lightweight gun, or a bench rider?

I have a starter kit with an 18" barrel/bolt combo, dies, shell holder, Volume I and II 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, all packed in the AR15 Build Box.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Zane
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2014

Sorry for the delay I'm not getting any notification that people are replying for a while but any way.... I built the lower Midwest billet with double star parts kit with mag prs stock got a bcg from Rocky Mountain defense with a bcm chrome fire pin and parts kit going in an Aero upper receiver...... Now I'm looking for a barrel and bolt.. I'm thinking 20 or 24 inch for just playing around with some longer ranges maybe out of state deer round or hog gun. "Not allowed to hunt with in Indiana yet" I need suggestions on a barrel and matching bolt. Would love a Saturn but don't think I can afford it this time of year. I got a vortex viper pst to top it off with I'm done. Just new to the Grendel round looking for what works and what tall think.

Comment

• Zane
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2014

Also looking at drop in triggers. Any suggestions?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

A real nice single stage drop in is the timney. Very affordable and most people who try them really rate them well. Mine is a 3.5 lb. and i love it.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Mountain Man
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2014

Welcome. It sounds like you have a pretty sweet lower going on there. The Timney's are nice triggers.

I just got my first 6.5G running this morning(3 Factory SST's fed and cycled fine). Feeling the "real" recoil from my AR-15 and the added Bass note from the Grendel reaffirmed my decision to build on this cartridge. Range test tomorrow!
                    "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• Fredman
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Lilja makes four different profiles for the Grendel, and I called a couple of weeks ago and they had all in stock. I had one in .223 and it shot very well. 1/2 moa with 69 or 77 SMKs.

Comment

• Lexx
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2014

Welcome to the forum! I am new as well and have received lots of valuable information already.

Comment

• aclark
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2011

Where are you located in Indiana? If you are up north, you're welcome to check out my Grendel. I have a CMC 3.5# trigger along with a 20" Lilja 740 barrel. Let me know.

Comment

• Zane
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by aclark View Post
                            Where are you located in Indiana? If you are up north, you're welcome to check out my Grendel. I have a CMC 3.5# trigger along with a 20" Lilja 740 barrel. Let me know.
                            How do u like that cmc trigger?

Comment

• aclark
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Zane View Post
                              How do u like that cmc trigger?
                              Love it. Compared it side by side with an AR Gold and it stood up very well. For about 90% the performance at 1/2 the price I would go CMC every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X