• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAL357
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2014

Hello from Colorado.

Hello from Colorado, a place I'm recognizing less and less as the years go by. Be that as it may, I am happy to be a member of this forum. I probably won't post a whole lot, but I enjoy reading much of the information here.

A bit about me: I've owned and shot guns for more than four decades, and I still haven't tired of the shooting sports; in fact, I think I'm shooting now more than ever. I also like to hunt when I can draw a tag, and I'm always up for rabbits; someday I'd like to get around to coyote hunting also, I just need to get off of my butt and knock on some doors.

For several years I have been toying with the idea of replacing, or at least supplementing, my old .30-06 with a 6.5 caliber rifle. The .260 was in the running for a long while, but then I acquired an AR and, while it took a bit to warm up to it, I now really enjoy the platform. I ordered a 24" .223 varmint upper for it earlier this year and found a load it likes and it has become the most accurate rifle I own.

So, what does this have to do with the 6.5 Grendel? I decided to combine my fondness for the AR with my longing for a 6.5, and the Grendel seemed like the only logical (I hope) choice. I placed an order with AA for a 20" Grendel upper with a Shilen barrel in early April. From what I've read here, the lead times are 6-9 months, or longer, and I'm okay with that, for it will give me time to collect the spare funds; I'll be disappointed, financially anyway, if it arrives before Christmas. In the meantime, I am slowly gathering reloading components for my future rifle.

BTW, I chose the 20" barrel because I want this to be first and foremost a hunting rifle. I figured with a twenty-incher I could hunt with it and still play in tactical games/plink/punch paper if I so choose. Of course my rational justification for the upper in the first place was so that my son can hunt with a low-recoiling round, but I'm too honest with myself to let that rationalization stand; I want it because I want it, and that's that!

Wow, this turned into a miniature tome, didn't it?
    DAL357
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Well, Dal357, a tome, perhaps, but not a tedious tome.

Welcome to the Horde, and congratulations on your announcement of the baby to be, come 9-ish months. With a 20" pipe, you will not be disappointed at all. Several members here have posted up information on shots well in excess of 1000 yards with their 16" barrels, so that 20 incher will help you meet literally all your stated objectives. A good friend of mine has several Shilen barreled weapons, and they are absolutely the cat's ass, when it comes to lead on target.

Do not hesitate at all, if you feel like you have a question you crave an answer for. Around here, questions will usually result in an assortment of answers and options, almost all of which will help.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Welcome to the horde. Looking forward to how it all turns out for you.

Comment

Working...
      X