• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Torf
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2014

Hello, from Central IL

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this caliber, having recently completed my first 6.5G, and I am having a blast!

Used a 18" Liberty (Stoner) barrel purchased at Christmas. Yay, Merry Christmas to me... Anyway, been lurking here since long before that, and watched the drama with interest.

Assembled it, tested it, not "entirely happy". Still shot good though, for the 7 or so rounds on a reasonably low charge of 28.5 grains WIN748 and a 123 gr. Lapua Scenar.

Got an exchanged bolt from Satern, and bought another from Underground Tactical.

Thanks to Mark with Precision Firearms, the barrel is now perfect!

Decided to assemble it with a Midwest Industries Gen2 SS 15", and a VLTOR A1 style FH. Not sure if the rest is worth mentioning, but the Rainier Arms forged upper exceeded my expectations. Decided to top it off with a SWFA SS3-15x42 and an American Defense Recon mount.

Now that it is back in action, I am very happy! Now I am starting the process of working up a load or two consisting of the components I have on hand. Scored 4 boxes of the AA 123 Scenar loads from MidwayUSA last week, so I have something to compare to

Have shot it at 100 and 200 so far, but it's going to take a little springtime work to get the 300 yard line up. It's a new firing position and we have a lot of growth to trim back, and the honeysuckle is going nuts again. This weekend looks promising!

Thanks to you all for making this place such an informative site!
  • Dave Bob
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2013

Welcome, Sounds like a nice rifle, Pics please.

Dave

Comment

• Torf
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2014

OK, finally got some time to install my new PRS and Geissele B-G2S-E trigger from Brownells! Here's a crappy pic on my messy bench. Hope to get outside this weekend, but with the weather the way it is, looks like any pleasant Saturday or Sunday will be eaten up by yardwork!

Comment

• Dave Bob
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2013

Nice looking blaster, hope you get a chance to shoot it again soon.

Dave

Comment

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're off to a good start, despite the initial hiccups.

Comment

Welcome to the horde.

Comment

• Butterbean
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

Nice rig. Glad that Mark did the trick for you. Welcome!
              Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                Warrior
                • May 2014

Very nice, being new here I must admit I am jealous. As far as the honeysuckle goes think Imazapyr. But don't spray it on anything you DO NOT want to KILL.

Comment

• Torf
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2014

Thanks all for the nice comments, and Rugerfan.64, I have started using Tordon. It's deep blue and I am applying it with an inexpensive piston spray head to the freshly cut trunks. I have not tried anything that would be applied to the foliage. Am a little nervous about strong stuff within the drip lines of large Oak, Hickory, Walnut and Cherry trees. How is it applied, and will it kill our trees if we are applying it along a roadside on the invasive Honeysuckle?

Comment

Working...
                  X