New Member in Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member in Minnesota

Just stopping in to say hello. I am in the process of building a new 6.5 and looking for information and ideas. I plan on basing it on a 20" med-heavy contour barrel.

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of discussion going on relevant to your plans, especially regarding accuracy-enhancement techniques, part selection, and build approaches.

Will this be a hunting rifle, target gun, or both? 20" is a good length, and will give you a lot of velocity using medium-slow burning powders with 123gr, and a bit faster powders with 100gr. Do you reload?

If you don't reload, the Hornady 123gr A-MAX and SST are hard to beat for box ammo.

Comment

• Sputnik
      Warrior
      • May 2013

Welcome...Hard on us Vikings fans this year huh? Where in central MN? I am originally from Little Falls and now USMC retired here in NC. Look around and ask questions. Many are already answered in the various threads. A fellow Brother offered me this search engine that helps me find a lot of informative posts, I think this is it: http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01...d_0xcu1o&hl=en
      Last edited by Sputnik; 12-13-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the gang. Are you building an AR, or a boltie? How far north of Mpls. are you?

Comment

Thank You. I am building another AR. I already have a 5.56 and just finishing a 300AAC, both carbine length. Being retired military, I still like the A2 style, so I figured a 6.5 should be a nice project. I live just outside of Elk River, if you know where that is.

The rifle will be used for both target and hunting purposes. My plan is to primarily use the 120-130 grain bullets. I do all of my own reloading, so I will be doing quite a bit of load adjusting once the rifle is built.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

You are about 40 minutes from my location. I'll pm you on Sat. about ice fishing -shooting at a range in the spring . Cool?

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Sputnik, you sound like that short Vince guy from Mike & Molly Cbs show on Monday nite= dats rite!

Just on the comedy for tonite!

Comment

Working...
              X