New Grendel Owner from WA State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Grendel Owner from WA State

Hi all, recently finished my Grendel build after finally sourcing a barrel from Shilen. Now trying to save for some optics.
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Welcome.
    Vast amount of info here to enjoy!
    Please post a list of your build and maybe some photos!

Comment

Welcome! Glad you found all your parts. Which optic are you giving with?

Richard

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Welcome to the horde. You should be aware that here it's pics or it didn't happen. Let's see the Grendel.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well as it sits....My apologies for the cell phone quality pic

Magpul PRS AR15 Adjustable Stock in FDE
          MGI Rate and Recoil Reducing Buffer
          MGI 2X Extra Power Buffer Spring
          MGI Rate Reducing Buffer Rifle Stock Adapter
          Accu-Shot Precision Rail Monopod
          Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger
          Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip with Palm Shelf in FDE
          GG&G XDS-2 Quick Detach Tactical Bipod
          Shilen Drop-In Match Barrel with Bolt HBAR Contour 1in9 Twist 20” Stainless Steel
          Noveske Chainsaw Vltor MUR
          DPMS Lower Receiver
          Rainer Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle
          Kies Nick Boron M16 Bolt Carrier w/staked gas key
          WMD Guns NiB-X Firing Pin
          WMD Guns NiB-X Cam Pin
          Magpul MBUS Front & Rear BUIS in FDE
          Midwest Industries 15in Gen2 SS-Series Free Float Handguard in FDE
          Ross Schuler Muzzle Break
          Ambidextrous Safety
          Magpul B.A.D. Lever
          Troy Enhanced Rifle Trigger Guard
          JP Precision Adjustable Gas System
          YHM EZ Pull Take Down Pins

Currently saving my pennies for and trying to decide between Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50, U.S. Optics 3.2-17x44, or the Nightforce 5.5-22x56. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Mount will most likely be a LaRue.

Comment

Welcome, and nice boom stick. I would forgo the higher-priced glass and just get a Vortex Viper PST. I've used and owned all the scopes you mentioned, although the 1.8-10x37 USO is a great little scope for most Grendels. Knowing what I know now, I would just stick with a Viper PST and be done with it.

The glass isn't as clear, but it's all you really need for a Grendel, and you still get zero-stop, great turrets with positive click feel, matching reticle & turrets, and the warranty to beat in the industry. You can get 2 or 3 Viper PST's for the price of one S&B, USO, of NF, with money left over for a high-end mount.

Do you have a 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, dies, and components yet?

Comment

Thanks for the info LRRPF52 on the Vortex Viper PST!! I'll start looking into that ASAP.

I do indeed also have the reloading handbook and I am awaiting Volume II. Dies and components have been sourced, and I am hoping this month will be my first in cooking something up.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

Regarding scope.
                Depends what you intend to do with it??
                I have a Vortex PST 6 x 24 x 50 FFP mil/mil and it is great.
                You may not need the power or the FFP but the value you can not beat.
                2nd FPS is cheaper and unless you are using the reticle to range you may not need it.

Your Grendel looks great. If using AMAX 123 try AA 2520 as I did and my initial results were very good. That is if you reload.
                There may be some disagreements!!

Comment

Thanks lrgrendel for the reloading info. I did some reloading (my first in this caliber) this afternoon with a friend and 50pcs of Hornady brass along with some powder and some CCI 450 primers I had on hand. Did 10 rounds using Ramshot TAC and Nosler 120gr projectiles, 20 rounds loaded with H4198 and 120gr Barnes TSX and plan to finish up tomorrow with the remainder using Win748. Should be at the range late this week or early next to finally get this up and running with some borrowed glass.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by svxr8dr View Post
                    Thanks for the info LRRPF52 on the Vortex Viper PST!! I'll start looking into that ASAP.

I do indeed also have the reloading handbook and I am awaiting Volume II. Dies and components have been sourced, and I am hoping this month will be my first in cooking something up.
                    Are you going to hunt those nw black tails with your Grendel?

Comment

H4198 is really fast for the Grendel, but Hodgdon's does have data for it with the 120gr Barnes TSX. It's on Page 50 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, or on Hodgdon's site.

Comment

Excellent rifle, lots of top notch components, nice build. We'll be waiting for a range report, hope it shoots as good as it looks and of course pics are appreciated. If you should have any problems with your new rifle there are a bunch of good guys here ready and willing to work through them. Welcome to the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                          Are you going to hunt those nw black tails with your Grendel?
                          Funny you mention this. I used to hunt prior to my daughter being born (she's 12 now). Mainly in the hills of Klickitat County above Lyle, WA. While this year I will probably only be punching paper. My goal is to get back out there next year.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          H4198 is really fast for the Grendel, but Hodgdon's does have data for it with the 120gr Barnes TSX. It's on Page 50 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, or on Hodgdon's site.
                          Thanks for the heads up on the H4198 being really fast. I did use the Hodgdon data when loading. Looking forward to seeing what our little variety pack shows on paper.

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                          Excellent rifle, lots of top notch components, nice build. We'll be waiting for a range report, hope it shoots as good as it looks and of course pics are appreciated. If you should have any problems with your new rifle there are a bunch of good guys here ready and willing to work through them. Welcome to the Horde.
                          Thanks much! Will defintely bring the camera.

Comment

Updated pic - Glass and Mount

Went with the LaRue LT-158 mount, on a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56 w/Zerostop (Mildot reticle)
                            also added a US Optics swivel level, and Nightforce angle degree indicator. Now I just need to tune the gas system and put rounds downrange.

Comment

• Slappy
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2014

Yup that will. Nice looking rifle. BANG BANG!!

Comment

Working...
                              X