Hi all, Kev from Auckland NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, Kev from Auckland NZ

Hi, I've been mooching around the site for a while and thought I should say Hello, Hello.
    This is a great sight and has it helped me and a couple of mates sort out a few issues we've had with our pre-loved grendels.
    I have a SOAD 20 inch upper and a pre-loved 24" satern on a megger billet upper that shot not too well until I trimmed the screws holding the sling swivel onto the Troy Alpha rail, it was hard up against the barrel! Both of which are on RockRiver lowers with the 2 stage triggers. I will post a couple of photo's when I find out how.
    At the moment I'm still working on a load that suits. We have very limited parts here and as you may be aware every thing we buy from the States we need a export permit for.
    So far I have shot 1 Fellow and 1 rabbit, and lots of paper.
    The Reloading handbook is a great idea and look forward to getting one.

Regards all,
    Kev.

The pic's of the rifle with the Digi sight is my RRA ATH. The digi sight is now on my 20" SOAD but I can't find my photo of it! The other rifle is the Satern 24"
    The Fallow (correct spelling this time) has been shot before as you may be able to see by the loose dried skin hanging off it's back.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2013, 12:03 AM. Reason: Add pic's and text.
  • Dogue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum kiwi 1.

I hope that fellow you shot wasn't a friend, and I sincerely hope you meant Fallow.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Hopefully the fellow deserved it!

If it was a fellow, then please share the terminal performance data.LOL

Welcome aboard!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Welcome from across the really big pond.

Comment

welcome to the horde!

Comment

Welcome aboard! One of my shooting buddies is a Kiwi that has made his way to the States. I thought all the game in NZ was white and wooly. :-)

Comment

Welcome. Send me an email to orders@ar15buildbox.com and we'll work out getting you a 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook. Also waiting to see pics of the fellow you blasted with a Grendel...

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

Giday Kev. Good to see another one of us here. I am down country a bit from you and as you have found this is an informative site with a great bunch of guys. The load book mentioned is an excellent resource and full of information that is well worth the read. I run a bolt rifle but with the new relaxed interpretation (well, less stringent anyway) of A Cat rifles there are many more AR. rifles in the sporting comunity here. What are you doing for brass as the Grendel specific Lapua is a bit pricey at $218 / 100. It makes the Lapua 7.62x39 Lapua brass at $93 as a fireforming base quite attractive.
                My welcome is added to those of the members above.
                Last edited by Von Gruff; 05-03-2013, 04:56 AM.
                http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• stevegun 1

Kev, welcome to a great site. I hope you find the people and info as helpful as I have. Post a few pics when you can, I'm not going to bitch about the price of brass again. Steve

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Welcome, you will never talk to a bunch of nicer yet very opinionated people who are very astute about the Gendel and other shooting information. The Grendel handbook is very useful when working up loads and hope you figure out how to post pictures.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome all.
                      Von Gruff, I was lucky to get a couple of hundred AA brass from an agent before the ... hit the fan it worked out to $110 nz at my door per 100, I also brought a hundred Hornady rounds here in Auckland of which I have about 25 left. I have ordered a Hornady electronic powder dispenser because my Dillon is a bit inaccurate with measuring the charge.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Welcome in Kev. If you are as good a quality as Von gruff, as a citizen-you'll be fine here. Von is even close to upper quality=-top notch. Well, he has the beard thingy=hee!
                        In the States-we mostly go beardless=wives like us that way-==ZZtop look? =I still have 7 zz top CD's here-and still play them=just can't even look close to them, she said. I will fool her one day!
                        We are a great bunch of non swearing-non threatening guys, & gals if ever a silent group on the Internet could be constructed- We owe it all to Hanka. Bill A is secondary on this. He swears more than I do...
                        I hope the FALLOW deer tasted great- spellcheck kev!!!!
                        Last edited by sneaky one; 05-04-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Hi Kev! Nice to hear from you. I was wondering what animals you have down there to hunt. I've seen a couple hunters on TV down there but if you could tell us a little more it would be great.
                          Also, I'm curious how your media looks upon the United States as far as guns go? I wouldn't think they know too much about our constitution and how important it is to us hunters and gun owners alike.
                          Rom

Comment

• leopard6.5

kiwi 1: Welcome to the Horde!

Enjoy the addiction like the rest of us.

Lee

Comment

Hi Rom, the main animal for me is probably goats. Where I go goat shooting there are large mobs,I have seen them in one mob of over 100! So a bolt action rifle is not much chop. On goats I mainly use a AR 15 in 5.56 and the Grendel. Lately the size of the mobs has reduced to 10 or 20 and 1's in 2's.
                              There are Deer (some of which are Fallow, Sika Whitetail, Red, Sambar, Rusa, Elk) which any one can hunt for free on Government land, you just need a permit.
                              Pigs/hogs can be hunted but you mainly need dogs to track them down in the thick bush.
                              Tahr and Chamois are in the South Island high country.
                              Wild Cattle.
                              Rabbits.
                              Opossums.
                              Wallaby, not many and never shot one.
                              On the media ours is much the same as yours, don't know what they are talking about. What is said in your media is repeated here (the bad stuff any way).
                              We are going through something similar as far as gun control goes. The police at times make their own rules, for example when I imported my first AR 15 the police made me Hand in a similar semi auto military rifle to be chopped up. I had to buy an old SKS for $400 nz. Any old military rifle became very valuable as a hand in.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X