• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

Glad to join from TN

I have been reading this forum for a few months. It has been very helpful.
    I am still waiting on my AA Entry Upper, brass, and primers. I have dies, bullets, and powder. I orderd early Jan.
    I have 123gr A-Max and Nos Custom Comp and 120gr Nos Ballistic Tip. I am going to stick with 8208 since it works well in my 308 bolt gun.
    I wanted the Grendel for my first AR, b/c it is a little different and awesome. I really like Bill Alexander's story and how he comments on this forum.
    I plan on hunting and target shooting with this rifle.
    I am a Mechanical Machine Designer for Denso in Maryville, TN. Just another dumb engineer and gun nut.
    David Sims
    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard David, from another nut!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Dogue
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Glad to have ya!

You've picked a good powder and some excellent projectiles for your first reloads. You may want to look into the 123 SST's for your hunting loads although many have brought home meat using the 123 Amax and 120 NBT.
      Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

You'll fit right in here, welcome.

Comment

• leopard6.5

Welcome to the Horde!

Enjoy the addiction like the rest of us.

Lee

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Sorry dave -missed this post-Welcome to the gang,=we enjoy having a many engineers on here, in case we get in a bad spot! Check the past data on loading. It's all good here.

Comment

The Grendel bunch are pretty helpful and always fun to read. Welcome to the group! (even if you are from TEN neessee) just kiddin, I lived across the river in Knoxville back in my hippy days.

Alex

Comment

• dmsims21
                Warrior
                • Nov 2012

Thanks for all the well wishes. I just wish my Entry Upper would come in. I ordered early Jan of this year. Realistically, I am hoping to have it before rifle season.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Howdy!
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Welcome aboard!
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Welcome aboard. Did your 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook show up yet?

Comment

• dmsims21
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Welcome aboard. Did your 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook show up yet?
                        I did get the handbook, and I read it cover to cover. I really learned a lot. I would like to learn more about what sets AA products apart from other companies. Like how they size gas ports and chambers, or what makes a hard use bolt different from a standard bolt? What processes do they do that other companies skip? I enjoyed reading Bill A's explanation of the magazine development. I I really like all of the in depth discussion on this forum. It is one of the best of any forums I know of.

Comment

I would say that the biggest differentiation with AA is that they have the testing, research & development, QC, troubleshooting, and long-term experience with the 6.5 Grendel.

At the root of that, you have Bill Alexander, who has one of the most extensive engineering backgrounds and a career of dealing with small arms maintenance & repair in the British Ministry Of Defense, to include a lot of work on AR15 family weapons in service with the UK. Because of his engineering background, and keen understanding of metallurgy, as someone who is in charge of selecting components for AA AR15's, he knows what materials cut the mustard, and which ones don't, with the Technical Data Package in-hand.

The gas port diameters were determined after thousands of rounds of testing with different loads ranging from 90gr TNT's-to-130gr Scirocco's, not a best-guess. That kind of testing is rare in the smaller business AR15 market.

Comment

Working...
                          X