Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industry Employment

Hi y'all,

I'm a junior mechanical engineer working in the industrial kitchen equipment industry. I enjoy my job, but it's not the industry that I want to be in for the long haul. My question for the members of this forum is as follows:

How do I get a foot in the door in this industry?

I have sent resume's to Magpul, Remington, Ruger, SlideFire and countless more manufacturers trying to get a job in the industry that I truly love. The overwhelming response (along with no) was that I need experience. So I joined the Army National Guard as a small arms and artillery repairer. I graduated top of my class and made some great friends. Still though, no traction with any manufacturers.

There is a Catch 22 when it comes to getting a job in this economy, to get a job you need a decade of specialized experience, to get experience you need a job. Any thought on how to turn my passion and hobby into a career?

Self-employment is a good path for some of us. "The buck stops here," so the owner takes all the hits, but also the rewards. Build the "better mousetrap."

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Finding a job via the 'net is challenging. Figure out a way to get face-to-face with people in the business, with intentions of making a favorable impression on someone who might can help.

As examples, attempt to apply in person where possible. Visit outdoor shows where manufacturers have booths, and start a dialogue with reps about the design and workmanship of their products, while avoiding simply asking for a job up front. If you know anyone with any type of connections in the business, ask for help with getting your foot in the door somewhere.

Everyone needs someone that will give them their first chance. Keep looking until you find it.

ETA- Instead of going straight at the big names in the business, perhaps you could learn some of the sources for their designs and products. Just because a brand name is on a product doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't outsourced. A big name company might show more interest if they learn that you design and produce products for them already. For example, if a company offering piston AR's is actually getting the piston design and / or product to complete their builds from a smaller unknown source, try seeking work there to start your career.
      Last edited by Drifter; 02-03-2013, 11:48 PM.
      Drifter

Comment

Every job I have ever obtained, aside from part-time work in high school, was through people I knew, who were in a position to recommend my employment to the management. I don't consider resume-dumping a viable method for seeking employment, especially in this economy.

Comment

Working...
        X