Well...if this isn't gonna cost me another pile of money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...if this isn't gonna cost me another pile of money...

There I was, mind you, and it was desperate indeed. I had spent my day off from work researching the absolute best deals for the highest quality parts that would cost me the absolute least ammount of money. Spreadsheets had been created, post-it notes were strewn around my desk and my keyboard and mouse had a thick hot plastic smell about them from the furious work they had performed. I was sure there was no way out of this situation alive. How to build a long range performance rifle that I could also take to the field (and would keep the Zombies/Russians at the end of my street)
    Then like the first light of dawn after a cold night in the mountains I saw it...6.5 Grendel...here it was, a round that could reach out to 1000 yards for competition shooting, take down a deer out to 500 yards, eliminate Zombies/Russians before they even got to my street, upper that can mount to a standard AR lower, and reloading potential that wouldn't cost me $$$. I'm in.
    Wait, there is something called .264 LBC that is the same but different...proprietary dimentions...wild variations between prices for barrels...18", 20", 22", 24".... What the he!!, here we go again.
    Can't wait to get back into this adventure, pretty sure the odds of my checking account surviving are pretty slim.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by budprop View Post
    There I was, mind you, and it was desperate indeed. I had spent my day off from work researching the absolute best deals for the highest quality parts that would cost me the absolute least ammount of money. Spreadsheets had been created, post-it notes were strewn around my desk and my keyboard and mouse had a thick hot plastic smell about them from the furious work they had performed. I was sure there was no way out of this situation alive. How to build a long range performance rifle that I could also take to the field (and would keep the Zombies/Russians at the end of my street)
    Then like the first light of dawn after a cold night in the mountains I saw it...6.5 Grendel...here it was, a round that could reach out to 1000 yards for competition shooting, take down a deer out to 500 yards, eliminate Zombies/Russians before they even got to my street, upper that can mount to a standard AR lower, and reloading potential that wouldn't cost me $$$. I'm in.
    Wait, there is something called .264 LBC that is the same but different...proprietary dimentions...wild variations between prices for barrels...18", 20", 22", 24".... What the he!!, here we go again.
    Can't wait to get back into this adventure, pretty sure the odds of my checking account surviving are pretty slim.
    Current odds against your checking account are running 10-1. Only a wifes intervention may save it!

Oh yeah....Welcome to the forum!

Comment

nice entrance! welcome to the horde. And, no, your checking account will never be the same again.

Comment

Your quest sounds oh too familiar, welcome to the Horde. The good news you won't regret getting a Grendel.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Great to have ya, BP! The Horde wishes you well, although the over/under has given you worse odds than someone with a Glock and only one mag left in a street full of the walking dead!

John
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Welcome. I think the Grendel is relatively affordable, to be honest. It all depends on what type of components you want to go with, and how much you shoot, reload, etc.

I wouldn't advocate taking deer at 500yds, unless you are really dialed-in at that range and know for a fact what your margin or error is, after registering the shot in that area at that range.

Another member just posted his results after shooting an antelope at 752yds, but this was an exceptional shot, taken with a high-end 22" barrel, after registering the shot at 727yds on a 4" rock.

Comment

• gunrestorer

And so it begins, Welcome you will not regret getting the Grendel Great round.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world that is the 6.5 Grendel. Also called the 264 LBC, the 6.5 Sporter, and a few other things. All are so very slightly different that they are interchangeable. With the 6.5 Grendel now a SAAMI round, it should standardize around the "Grendel" nomenclature in fairly short order.

Checkbook? My checkbook has only seen red ink since my addiction started. I've currently got 2, one a 19" the other a 24" (actually this is my 2nd 24" upper!) and I'm in the process of building a bolt action carbine now (20 week wait on the custom barrel). You will love the addiction.

Comment

Welcome, may your checking account rest in peace

Comment

Working...
                  X