New guy from Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy from Minnesota

Hey guys. I'm new to "going long" n obsessed with the ar-15 platform. I ordered a 24" tube from AA a couple days ago. I'm not sure on wait time, so I guess I'll be going nuts til then.

Welcome aboard, Zach! I'm new to "going long" myself, and chose the 6.5G to start learning about the ins and outs of doing so. Enjoy the learning experience - the folks on this forum can help with every step of the way.

Sean

Comment

I also felt the Grendel was the way to go. I did a lot of research on the creedmoor also. I know if I ever wanna shoot 1000+ the creedmoor is probably the better choice, but I'm not even ready to shoot to 600. Also the fact I would need to make the jump to an ar-10 was a turn off. Plus the Grendel is just to cool of a round 2 pass up. Flatter shooting n less wind drift than a .308 in an ar-15, who doesn't like the sound of that.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

zach, welcome in to the gang here. What part of st. are you from.

Comment

Welcome. You'll enjoy your new blaster I think. I also have a .260 Rem AR built by GA Precision, which is my long-range gun, but much heavier than the Grendel.

Comment

Sneaky one,
            I live in the central part of mn. I'm about 4-5 miles northwest of Zimmerman, which is about an hour north of Minneapolis.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Zach,
              Welcome to the Horde.

Comment

Welcome aboard!!!

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Zach- you are just north- west of the Cabelas store. Small world. Which Grendel 24" unit is it-? The heavy, or the mid size-? Fluted ? Threaded ? Are you going to lug it for hunts,, or just kill paper?

Comment

Hi Zach;

I'm in St.Boni and I'm a Grendel fan as well. Do you belong to that long-shooting range up that way? Used to go camping in the Dunes back in the late 70's. Actually, camping is a stretch, but that's what we did when it wasn't a good idea to drive back home.

I have a 24" and it makes me look like I know what I'm doing on the bench. At least it impresses the local club members.

Hoot

Comment

Welcome Zach_J5 there is abunch of us on this board from mn. I"am from anoka area. We might have enough guys for a shoot in our area some day

Comment

Sneaky One-Its the AA light barrel. AA doesn't flute the light 24s, but it is threaded and I ordered the thread protector for it. As far as killing critters or paper, she'll be used for both. I have a couple stands for deer hunting in Ely, MN that allow 400-500 yard shots. Otherwise I have a 7.62x40wt for 250 yards and under.
                        Hoot- I didn't know there was a long range club around here. I'll definitely have to look into it. I've had a few of them nights at the dunes too. Lol

Comment

That would be awesome.

Comment

I'm new to the Grendel horde myself and also in MN. Living in the metro (Maple Grove), I don't get as many chances to shoot as I would like. I've only shot my 20" grendel out to 500 yards at the in-laws' farm 3 hours south of here.

The 1000 yard range is in Harris - http://www.grrc.org/
                            I've often thought about joining the club

Is there a good place to shoot up there in Zimmerman?

Comment

I live on 54 acres, and to shoot across one of my fields is about 450yds. If you go across both fields it would probably be about 650-700yds. Also, just north of me in Princeton there is a range that gets opened up to1000+ yards, but they wait til winter to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X