• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SClearman
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2023

Hello from Southeast of DFW TX

Hello to all. I'm here to research, and maybe be converted. I'm wanting something with a bit more power than a .223.
    A few weeks ago a friend had a couple of 6.8 AR's for sale at pretty good deals. I bought one. RRA 16" upper mated to a RRA .223 lower. Thinking that I had just what I need I set out to buy some ammo. Well, it's been a few weeks and I cant find anything local, I have however found some 6.5G in stock local to me which makes me question if I might have made a bad choice.
    I don't think the 6.8 is bad but if I cant get ammo it doesn't matter. I've started getting reloading supplies for the 6.8 but that is a slow process.

To be honest I'm not after all the 6.5g can offer, a lot of it's potential would be lost on me. I'm looking for a hunting round I can use in an AR platform to take deer, hogs, coyotes. I've taken all those with my .223 using heavy bullets. But I've also had a few runners I had to track. I'm looking for some DRT types. I hunt at my house on my own land, shots are 150yds and under, I might occasionally need to stretch to 200yds. I can only imagine going to the range to shoot 300 or more. For what it's worth I have several AR's, some from 80%'s, all of them have either been built from parts up or had parts swapped to get what I wanted. I'm a big fan of SBR's. I'm not looking for a 6.5 or 6.8 for plinking and casual shooting, I have lots of .223/5.56 for that. I'm wanting a hunting gun.

I have my shop at the house where I do both wood and metal work. I have a machine shop and build my own Form 1 suppressors
  • 603 Country
    Warrior
    • Apr 2022

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum SClearman!

The difference in performance between 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel will be minimal closer than 300 yards. Brass is probably the hardest component to find for the 6.5 Grendel but Starline opens back order at their website every few months. Once back ordered 6.5 Grendel brass usually ships within a couple weeks. Starline might do the same thing with 6.8 SPC brass.

I just checked and Starline is accepting back orders on 6.8 SPC brass. Starline had back order available for 6.5 Grendel brass a couple weeks ago. If you decide to reload for the 6.8 Starline might be a good source for brass.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-02-2023, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard! For your intended use, either will work fine.

I notice that Grendel ammo gets purchased quickly where I live, but I see 6.8 on the shelves too.

You can also just order it online using Ammoseek.

Ammo prices exceed inflation significantly for some reason.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, SCm, from another loyal Texian, just north of dfw. The Cabelas / BassPro in Allen commonly ( now ) has 6.5 ammo, last week had quite a bit of it. I would presume the one on I30 /Lake Ray Hubbard does as well. For your stated purposes, the Grendel is an excellent choice in almost any barrel length.

Comment

Working...
            X