• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragonscout
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2022

Missed the boat...

New to the site, but it's been calling for years... I initially saw the info on the Grendel and was intrigued. Long time shooter (.308,7.62x39 & 54,.303,.270), vet and competitive shooter (IPSC, early 2-gun matches), I just liked what I was seeing from the cartridge. Never been one to chase wildcats tho. Then, just about the time I started to marshal my pennies, all the stupidity started. Which one, I don't know take your pick, but moving halfway across the country on a job transfer back to the South from the Midwest I figured I had plenty of time and areas to shoot and could catch up. Crap, I get down here in Georgia and can't find a freaking gun range and I'm not paying to hunt either so the shooting has taken a real backseat. Add in getting both shoulders completely rebuilt and rehabbed, then finding everybody bought all the ammo except the solid gold stuff and GEEZ. Anyway, I was interested enough to sell my AR-10, get an 18" upper and some accessories coming. Had to take out a second mortgage for 4 boxes of Hornady Black to get a brass pile started and I'm starting to research everything for my reloading stuff. I hope to be able to contribute here in the future. I was interested enough to call several of the major players and inquire about southpaw bolt guns just to get the typical "not enough of a market" comments. I asked the Howa folks "can you imagine if you took just ONE of your Grendel bolt guns and reversed the bolt face, how much money you could make? You would have ALL the left-handed shooters on the planet! The lady said she would take the suggestion forward. Anyway. Glad to be one of you and hope to contribute once I find a place to shoot that doesn't have a bonafide range nazi like the state range and hour from here... Personal BIO: disabled Army vet working for the VA out of Macon, GA.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Dragonscout and thank you for your Service! Maybe you can find a local shooter who shoots on his own property and become friends.

Comment

• Fodderwing
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2022

Welcome to the 6.5 forum.

Georgia has lots of public hunting. The Piedmont Wildlife Refuge is accessible by lottery drawing. Rum Creek is another WMA not far from you.

But, joining a deer lease is my preferred way to hunt.

Comment

• Dragonscout
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2022

hope to find someone, but kind of a lone wolf guy doesn't help. Being raised in North Carolina and not having to pay to hunt, then hunting out on lots of farmland where permission usually came with certain "understandings" I just can't wrap my head around paying to hunt. But time will tell, Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, DW, from the great nation of Texas! Thank you for your service! Even huntable farmland is getting scarce, you will find a lot of sympathy here about that. With all the Georgia shooters across these pages, someone close to you will show up and lead you down the garden path.

Comment

• 65Carcano
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2022

Welcome to the forum Dragonscout, nice to see yet another milsurp enthusiast as well.
            My grandpa's WWII Bomber Pilot memoir:
            https://www.hellgatepress.com/produc...lter-richards/
            https://www.amazon.com/Victory-World...dp/195416369X/ or
            Ebook: https://www.amazon.com/Victory-World...dp/B0C7RXCRYG/

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard!

Were you with 25th ID in Vietnam?
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dragonscout
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2022

Missed it by a few months, and was actually in the last Recondo class of the Division before General Westmoreland's successors dismantled the provisional schools. I regretted losing some of those instructors. spent a very short stint in the Phillipines, then Korea doing work on assignment instructing. My father was the head of a group called the Dusty Seven out of Quang Tri in 68-69 ended up MIA for a short period. They cut his tour short and we went to Rhode Island where he served as an instructor for inbound SeaBees for ambush, tunnel search and search-and-destroy work. I learned a lot about the AK and SKS platforms from my Dad and his contemporaries when I got to visit the school. Sure was a different time...

Comment

• Squiddley
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2017

Welcome aboard from n GA

Comment

Working...
                    X