• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, Rc, from the great nation of Texas! There are a number of threads across these pages on "roll-your-own" uppers and lowers. Read well, first! Put your money in the barrel and then be sure to true your receiver. Once done, the results are often amazing. A mediocre barrel properly assembled onto an upper receiver can often outshoot a high-dollar barrel poorly assembled.

Comment

• Rzrbac
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2021

Originally posted by just_john View Post
          Welcome to the clan, Rc, from the great nation of Texas! There are a number of threads across these pages on "roll-your-own" uppers and lowers. Read well, first! Put your money in the barrel and then be sure to true your receiver. Once done, the results are often amazing. A mediocre barrel properly assembled onto an upper receiver can often outshoot a high-dollar barrel poorly assembled.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

The main consideration is the barrel to upper interface. If your upper is billet then it "should" be machined true. However, on many forged uppers, the end of the threaded ring where the barrel is secured will not be truely perpendicular to the axis of the barrel, that is to say that the barrel, when fully seated either will not be perfectly straight with the centerline of the receiver or may be riding on a high spot such that it rocks very slightly - I've seen both. There is a tool that drops into the snout and, when used with valve grinding compound trues that surface. I only use forged receivers and have assembled or helped others to assemble more than 50 MSR's and the only manufacturer that I have encountered where they start off true is Bravo Company. There was an excellent article by Peyton Sweeny in Guns and AMmo Mag a few years ago about this process and the tremendous accuracy improvement this truing process made to his MSRs - highly suggested reading for anyone building their own.
            The first Grendel that I built some years ago seemed ideal, but... When I went to the range with it, as the distance to the target increased the POI shifted to the left. After a lot of frustrating discussions with the guys around me, it was discovered that the barrel was actually slightly canted to the side. The "snout" was not faced off properly.

Comment

Working...
            X