Good morning from rural southern Minnesota!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmaynard
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2020

Good morning from rural southern Minnesota!

I'm a long time handgunner, CCW permit holder, and AR owner. I decided that the recent unpleasantness calls for me to expand my capabilities to reach out and touch things farther than the hundred yards or so my .223 AR-15s will permit with my not-great eyesight.

I was looking at an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, but a friend pointed 6.5 Grendel out to me. Reading up showed me that it will accomplish what I'm looking to do out to 6-800 yards or so, which is realistically as far as I can expect to hit anyway. The platform commonality with my other rifles is a major advantage in being able to pick it up and use it quickly should the need arise.

I'm sold. I just bought a PSA 12-inch pistol kit, and will build it on my PSA Trump KAG-15 lower. I've also ordered some Duramag 20s (don't want something that I can easily confuse with D&H .223s) and 200 rounds of Hornady ammo. ($1.10/round, ouch...) Need to decide on a scope and mount for it.

So here I am. Looking for advice on scopes that won't bust the budget, and also thoughts on how to most effectively use the new gun. Thanks in advance for the help!
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, jm, from the great nation of Texas. It is very difficult to be disappointed with a Grendel. It pretty checks all the boxes. Scopes - three of mine have Athlon FFP's on 'em. For the money, hard to beat.

Comment

• jmaynard
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2020

Thanks! I just bought a fairly inexpensive scope, a Monstrum G1 3-9x40, so I'll have something to shoot while I get used ot shooting at longer distances. I may well wind up ditching it and getting something better, but it's a start.

I'm originally from Houston, so thanks for the welcome, even if you are from the wrong end of the state.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum jmaynard!

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Am originally from the very southern tip of Texas ( where the river meets the gulf ). I escaped there as soon as I was able to. And you gotta go where the money is, so here I is. I figure, at my age, I have two moves left, one horizontal, one vertical - am looking for a few acres just the way God made 'em in the first place where I can clear out a spot just big enough for a house and a working shed and I can wear out rtocking chairs until I make that vertical move. There are worse places than southern Minn, made a lot of trips up that way in my earlier days - in and out of Minneapolis and then all around that neck of the woods. Even made a run down to Fargo ( yes, folks, it really does exist! ).
          Have some Monstrums, for the money , they aren't bad. PS - can't blame anyone for leaving Houston.

Comment

• TruLbrt
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2020

Hello from the Twin Cities!

Scopes: I watch Dvor and gundeals.net for deals on trijicon, etc.

Comment

• Utah65
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2019

JM,
              Every guys idea of affordable can be different but a friend and myself have been very happy with Vortex scopes in the Diamondback line lately. Give them a look and welcome to the board.

Comment

Working...
              X