• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unaligned
    Unwashed
    • May 2020

Hello from 10k feet in the CO Rockies

Hey all. I've been a 6.5G guy for a couple years now, after I picked up an 18" Aero M4E1. I liked it so much that I'm also working on a 6.5G pistol build. You might see a thread about that, because I have some questions.

I'm considering hunting deer and elk with them, but the people I usually hunt with are bolt-only, and would look at me weird using an AR. My bolt gun is a Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 Creedmoor, so you might say I'm riding the 6.5 bandwagon. I know from reading around here that people love the 123 gr SSTs for hunting, but there's been some conversation that they work almost too well, and can ruin meat. I'm also considering using the Federal Fusion 120 gr. Is there any consensus on which of those to use if you're looking to hunt deer or elk? I have a bit of both, as well as a bunch of American Gunner, Wolf, and Remington High Performance Rifle.

Anyway, figured I'd say hello, and thanks for the great info I've found on here.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

If I was after elk. I would use the 129 ablr and keep my shots inside 300 yards.

Comment

• unaligned
      Unwashed
      • May 2020

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      Welcome to the horde sir.

If I was after elk. I would use the 129 ablr and keep my shots inside 300 yards.
      Thanks. And yeah, that definitely makes sense with elk.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, UA, from the great nation of Texas! Looks like you may have a serious case of Grendalitous! There is no cure but it is mitigated with heavy aromas of burned powder. +1 to A5.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum unaligned! Put the bullets in the right place and the 123 SST, 120 grain Gold Dot and 129 grain ABLR. Another option is the 100 grain TTSX or 120 grain TSX/TTSX. Precision Firearms sell loaded ammo and might be worth checking out. Mark LaRue took a bull Elk with a 6.5 Grendel using 120 grain Barnes TSX.

Thread from ARF.com on Mark LaRue elk hunt.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-09-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X