• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jarhead68
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2020

Hello from Downeast Maine

New guy to the forum. Old Jarhead, Namvet 70-71 Danang, drove a desk 99.99% of the time, had the privilege to lead a heavy weapons squad on Reactionary Platoon, 4 M-60's. Never had to use them in anger.

Been gunsmithing since I was a teen. Got an Enfield Jungle Carbine for 16th birthday and sporterized it. Reworked a bunch of rifles since then.

Hated the M-16 in Nam and after that when I got home. Learned to shoot in the Corps on the M-14 and never could could handle that piece of M16 Mattel Magic.

Bought an AR10 last year and started rethinking my feelings about the AR platform.

Building my first AR, using an 80% lower and a PSA 20" upper in 6.5 Grendel. Having a great time researching all the parts. Bought Boyds' wood stocks from Midway, the PSA upper, DPMS lower parts kit, Alexander mags and PSA 2 stage trigger.

Starting machine work tomorrow, wish me luck.

Jim Robinson
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Jim and thank you for your service!

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, JH68, from the great nation of Texas! Thank you for your service. I didn't get to see sunny SE Asia but a lot of my buddies did. There are a lot of us who had a particular disdain for the plastic wonder weapon but, like so many things, it kind of grows on you. The problem with the Grendel is that it scratches SO MANY itches. And, like other things that grow on you, so does the Grendel. THe first one was a "well, let's just take a look", the second was " really should have had a longer/shorter barrel. The third....

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Jim:

Finally met someone who does not claim Rambo status! Very impressed.

I picked up a relatively new Jungle Carbine a couple of years ago from a buddy of mine who had a number of them. Really is in almost perfect condition. We had a few of them in the 10th SFG back in the day when Group had a stock of foreign weapons at the unit level to train with. The Jungle Carbine was always a sort of test of manhood sort of thing because it would really abuse a guy if he didn't watch it. Hard rubber butt, light, carbine length. A real blaster. I shoot mine periodically with some surplus South African .303 ball I bought many years ago. Shoots well for about five shots then opens up badly as it heats up. Handy thing but it can beat up a guy if he doesn't watch it.

Good stuff and welcome.

LR55

Comment

Working...
          X