• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deep Six
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2019

Hello from IL

Hi all! I've been into guns for a while but never really liked ARs much due to the prairie dog cartridge they're usually chambered in. I've built a couple blackouts and they definitely bring the heat at close range, but I wanted something that'll reach out further. I've been aware of the Grendel for years but the combination of parts getting closer to price parity with 223/300 stuff and the rather awesome wolf plinking ammo for $0.30/rnd becoming readily available have convinced me it's time to build a couple Grendels. I do reload extensively, but having wolf available for plinking and Hornady available for hunting takes the pressure off to gear up for yet another cartridge.

I figured I'd join here to share in the technical knowledge and hopefully get in on a group buy or two. Currently I'm thinking of doing two rifles, a typical 18/20" SPR and then shorter, more minimal carbine. For the carbine, I'm thinking a P/W 14.5 barrel and M4-style FSB and handguards. Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of 14.5 barrels so hopefully that changes soon. Otherwise I'm going to have to grab a 16 and get some more practice using a lathe.
    Last edited by Deep Six; 03-15-2019, 02:48 AM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Deep Six! I to am from Illinois and am addicted to the 6.5 Grendel. The only 14.5” barrel I’m aware of is the Lilja group buy going on right now. You might be able to order a 14.5” 6.5 Grendel barrel from Precision Firearms as he has turned out numerous barrel lengths. At one time AA sold a 14.5” barrel but I don’t think it is a current product.

What part of Illinois are you located? There are several 6.5 Grendel shooters here in the midwest.

I'm thrilled to announce a partnership between Six Sigma Arms, LLC and Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels to bring the phenomenal Lilja Grendel barrels back to market in their ultra-rare short configurations. Six Sigma Arms, LLC is my 07 FFL and we've been working with the Grendel in some manner since our inception nearly 15 years

Comment

• Deep Six
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2019

I'm in Ogle county.

As for the barrel, I don't think the $300+ options are what I want since it's going to be my first attempt at installing a fsb at home. I'm thinking cutting down a $50 BCA 16" would be a much wiser choice with the possibility of an upgrade later. Of course it'd be so easy if there was a 14.5" option with the Monster barrel. Even that may be an option to get a 16 and cut it down.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, deep six, from the great nation of Texas!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I sent you a PM Deep Six.

Comment

Working...
          X