• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeepster18_88
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Hello from Texas/Ohio/WV

Hey everyone. I'm from Texas but I haven't been home in far too long and I'm currently in the north working instead of hunting. I'm a huge fan of the AR platform but the 5.56 is a poor performer especially when you shorten the barrel . I built my first AR in 7.62x39 for my wife and tested it out on a few deer and hogs. It works so well that I immediately made myself one because she wouldn't let me keep hers. Now I've got the Grendel and I can't wait to start testing it out. I'm hoping for the same performance with a little more legs. Honestly, I have no need for improvement, but I enjoy the process. Thanks in advance for all the knowledge that's been put on the forum.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Welcome to the Horde. The added reach is where you will notice the advantage of Grendel over the 7.62X39. Get back to Texas more hogs need to die

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

So, you either need to go on and build two of 'em or don't let your wife play with yours!

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Jeepster18_88!

Comment

• Gusmeister
          Warrior
          • May 2017

Welcome Jeepster,

You'll enjoy the Grendel. It does almost everything pretty well.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Jeepster fro an hour north of the DFW metromess. A word of warning, Grendels seem to multiply

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

I have absolutely no need for one, yet I bought one with a 24" barrel and I'm considering getting a 20". All my guns have proven to be breeders for some reason. Really, the only reason I haven't is availability and price of brass compared to the 7.62x39, which also multiplied because it is very accurate and flattens every hog it hits from the AR. It's thick woods in East Texas so my farthest shot was only 175 yrds but it hit exactly where I was aimed on a 20lb pig, which is a small target and shows that the x39 has more legs than the 30-30 even out of the 16" barrel. I fell in love with the round the first time hunting with it in the AR. 3 hogs down in 3 shots in a minutes time. I've killed 2 that were 15 yards apart when a little one got in my way of shooting a big boar. It blew out the spine on the little one and still had enough to drop the boar with a broadside hit behind the shoulder. I didn't even know that the little one had gotten in the way until I walked down to them. I know if the Grendel is as effective on game, I'll be addicted immediately. By the numbers, it should be a better performer than a 243 while having less recoil and faster follow up shots. I'm hoping to find the perfect round in the AR, and build one for each of my family members. Thankfully, they're getting cheap to build.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• gold51
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2019

Welcome Jeepster!
                  My neighbor across the street just left-driving his 1982 Jeep- with antique plates- I'm getting old, too.
                  Great comparison picture!

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2011

Welcome to the Horde!

20% discount one time for new members to the Horde, From Precision Firearms!

Mark Hostetter
                    Precision Firearms
                    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                    X