• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joshfuller56
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2018

newbie with alot of dreams

Hey everyone. Names Josh and I am from the Baytown, Tx area. Right now I am in San Marcos, Tx for school. While doing endless searching for answers this site kept coming up as a knowledgeable place to go to. I am not gonna go into to much details but with never finding a concrete answer I decided to create an account so I can get help with what I have in mind. Was always afraid to build an ar upper myself until I sat down and started watching some videos on how to build one. Only other thing that has me scared now is head spacing which in reality does not really seem that bad. I have been building my own lowers out of anderson but have wanted to get the 5d tactical router jig to start doing my own 80 percents but as of now i cannot justify the 500 for the kit to do lowers when I can pick up an anderson for 49 ready to be built and I will need 10 lowers. Granted I could then do lowers for other but I do not have the time or space right now to do that in my apartment. im always game to answer questions someone has for me. Guess I am fixing to head the the ar section and start posting some things
  • Dead Center Miss
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

Actually, you can not mill 80% lowers for other people.

How do you like the Anderson receivers? I've been thinking about getting a couple.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Josh! I’ve used several Anderson lowers and they are gtg.

Comment

• Sixoeight
        Warrior
        • Jul 2018

Yeah if you mill them for others you would be a manufacturer without a license...not good. Do not do that.

What are your dreams you mentioned?

Comment

• joshfuller56
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2018

Well that clears the router jig up just gonna close that door.

The AR I put together used the anderson lower and i liked it a lot. very cost effective to me. I do not see the need for dropping say 3-400 for a stripped lower when the anderson does what it needs to do. I have yet to have an issue on them and the Cabelas up the road is selling them for 50 a piece right now, picked 2 more up yesterday

Dreams? well dam you got just thought it was a clever thread title. I have been slowly growing my collection as I go and after going with one of my competition military shooter friend I set goals of being able to go and have a good down range shooter that is accurate. I have built me 556s, the first one I no longer have and would like to try a few more calibers on the AR platform. I tried my dad's AR 10 308 and I did not like the platform. I have been kinda jaded ever since and do not want to build on an AR 10 platform. It has been a bit of a culture shock for me as I have always like a good wood stock rifle or a nice metal framed handgun. I have been trying to branch out into the polymers and synthetics. The AR 15 platform seems to fit right now to me as it is versatile with me being able to competition shoot, go plinking, or go hog hunting or hunting in general.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, joshfuller56, from another Texian!
            The only real difference in lowers is how "frilly" they are. As stated above, Anderson lowers are as good as any as long as the machining is done properly. I have one from SHWAT where all the holes are drilled at a slight angle. Everything fits in it but everything is crooked. Makes a nice paperweight, have seen two lowers from them, both bad.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Uppers are a lot simpler than lowers. There are only a few major pieces necessary to get one shooting.
              If you have mo money you can add all the extras you want.
              As far as headspacing, I am not aware of anyone that sells Grendel barrels or bolts with .125 bolt face depth.
              The Grendel spec was set to be .136 so it is really just buy and assemble.
              You will need a wrench to hold the barrel nut and this : https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod27452.aspx
              or another way to hold the receiver.
              Just to see how a barrel shoots I often just install it on an upper, slip in a Grendel bolt carrier group and go shoot in manual mode without a gas block or tube.
              Sort of like leaving the hood off your muscle car and just going out and driving.

Comment

• joshfuller56
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2018

thanks i was thinking of gettting the geisielle tool to assemble if i do go that route

Comment

Working...
                X