X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

I would not put BCA on par with ARP he does turn out accurate barrels from what I have seen and from the one my son had that consistently turn out sub-moa. If I were forced to decide on a BCA or an ARP I would go ARP without a thought. The proprietary barrel extension and bolt issue is why I went BA instead.

Comment

• Grumpy
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2018

I hear you Popeye.

I have had personal experience with an ARP barrel in an ARP chamber in a 16" 6.8 spc and had all manner of issues. I don't care to discuss it. I did get it operating eventually - but generally, yea, definitely on the same level. ARP certainly has a loud fan club. And fwiw, BCA is better to deal with than JellyB (a respectful stand-in for real name for anonymity and decorum). I have had some BCAs that were fine and never really had any issues from fit-and-finish, through accuracy or function. That's why I went ahead and took a shot (so to speak). That, and it was $109 + shipping. And honestly, with reviews, who really ever knows if the review is being fair, or for that matter, even has a clue. Their impressions and experiences may be honest and all, but did they contribute?

I did return the 6.5 BCA (Primary Arms - a real fine company - a goto for a number of things accepted a return), the reason being, if I have to take extraordinary efforts and not getting anything sub MOA or even consistently at just over MOA (I didn't shoulder bump, turn necks, etc - I mean, you don't shoulder bump auto-loaders).

I now have a Hardened Arms 20" 6R QPQ RFL len gas on the way. That should do fine. The 6R should be good for the short bearing surfaces of 85 T-Rex(es). And the profile is nice and stiff. I have had experience with HA in the past and always been top-notch.
      The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11

Comment

• Grumpy
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2018

Update: the 6R HA 20" BBL came in and I shot the same ladder. The higher end progressed to display signs of high pressure with little or no benefit to velocity. I conclude 27.5 - 28.0gr should be used with caution. Both barrels were new and not broken in. I would expect well shot-in rifles to do a little better.

The next combo will be 100 NBT pushed by Benchmark and BR4s in Starline.
        The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Sounds like we have a lot in common.

I was raised on .270 Win-impressive terminal results.

I also was initially unimpressed with 6.5 Grendel because I could only get a 16" barrel, first hand loads were pretty slow.

Came here and found good data for 100gr NBT, and got impressive speed with it even from a 16".

From a 24", you'll be slinging them pretty fast.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Grumpy
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2018

A Thank You for LRRPF52 and Update on first Grendel build

Thank You LRRPF52

I do have an update on my first 6.5 Grendel build if I can attach a pic.

I am helping the older brother build his first SBR and he came over to function test and set the GB. Being new on these aftermarket knees, I have not been shooting much myself lately. I wanted him to try my new 6.5 Grendel build now that I call this project complete. It is based on a 6R 20" Hardened Arms barrel and gave him 5 of my handloads which uses, 100 gr NBT, 28.5 gr Benchmark and BR-4s 2.240 coal. He shot 3 rested through paper putting 2 in one hole, the two remaining on steel 200 yds away in a slight wind. based on my chrony, I guessed at the BDC.

The picture is annotated and there is 1 older 6.8 shot above his 2. It is hard to argue with performance like this. While I do feel like I'm cheating on my 6.8s, I think I might just like the Grendel.

(let's see if it attached)
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X