• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romad
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2018

Greetings from Texas via Iraq

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm retired military with a few black rifles in hiding. I have AR's from 5.7x28 to 6.8. So my question and don't kill me for asking but tell me about the 6.5 that has everyone going. I have read a lot but I want first hand experiences before I drop the hammer on one. I am intrigued as I own a 6.5 Creedmoor and love it. I have noticed that the brass is quite a bit higher priced than the rest of my guns I load for. Help me decide if the Grendel is right for me.
    I do hunt a lot in the northwest as my in laws live there as I am originally from Oregon.

I look forward to all the input you can provide me as I' looking to buy soon.

Thanks for highlighting this neat round.

Cheers
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Welcome to the forum Romad! Navy veteran here.
    Check the ballistics charts and you'll see that the Grendel outperforms the 6.8 in almost every way. Some are predicting the demise of the 6.8 while popularity of the Grendel is growing.

You can convert a 6.8 AR to 6.5 with just a barrel and bolt change. FWI understand the 6.8 magazines should still work.

Wolf makes steel case ammo in 6.5G that's about 30c a round.
    Sportsman's Warehouse sells Hornady American Gunner that's 70c each. Many of us buy that because it's not much more than empty brass (around 45c). https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...3934/cat100114
    With free shipping.

And I buy that AG ammo in 6.5CM too.
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 08-10-2018, 06:52 PM.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard Romad. The tease on this round, is better long range performance than 6.8, higher BC's- better overall accuracy. Lighter recoil than 6.5 Creed, smaller rifle-AR 15 , than an AR 10.

Lapua brass lasts at least 18 times on reloads, less powder usage, awesome hunting whitetail results from bullets in wts., of 77-130 grns.

Many common powders have been adapted by our forum members for this fun hybrid round. It's performance, on game damage- lethality, for me--- has been in the middle of a .243, & .308.

Perfect for less meat destruction, yet plenty of penetrating power.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 08-10-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

Welcome to the horde

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Romad! I bought my first 6.5 Grendel for hog hunting then got into shooting steel targets with my 6.5 Grendel out to 1000 yards. I like the 6.5 Grendel’s mild recoil, good ballistics and only uses 32 or less grains of powder so it is affordable to shoot. I considered the AR-10 but preferred the AR-15 so the 6.5 Grendel was a step up in performance compared to the 5.56/223.

The 6.5 Grendel is a very addictive strain of the AR-15 disease and is very contagious. Many forum members have multiple AR-15’s chambered in 6.5 Grendel plus many of us also have purchased bolt action rifles chambered in the 6.5 Grendel. If you like AK pattern rifles the VEPR is chambered in 6.5 Grendel and PSA is on the verge of releasing an AK which uses AR-15 mags chambered in 5.56/223 and 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Tomas, thank you for your service. Simply, the Grendel is near 7.62x51 power in an AR15 package.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Texas View Post
              Welcome to the forum Tomas, thank you for your service. Simply, the Grendel is near 7.62x51 power in an AR15 package.
              Yikes. Really? 150gr bullet at 2900 FPS vs 123gr at 2500 FPS.

Comment

• Romad
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2018

Guys thanks for the greetings and feedback. I do like the ballistics data, same bullet as my creedmoor and in the AR 15 package. Don't hate me but I do like my 6.8. I have shot long range in the past but my ole eyes get tired faster now. You have caused me to pull the trigger again. (Gotta blame someone).......

Thanks again and look forward to getting to know the Grendel better soon.....

Comment

• RMiller
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

Welcome.

I first was wanting to build a 6.8 myself but found it was much easier finding parts to build the Grendel. At the time every economy barrel I could find for the 6.8 was always out of stock. I found many 6.5 barrels and decided to go that route. By the time I had a Grendel built I ended up with two complete rifles.

One factor that swayed me also was the cheap wolf ammunition. I have fired a couple hundred rounds of the wolf ammo and it is great for plinking steel to 400 yards.

Comment

• Romad
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2018

Well hell the upper is on the way. I should be home for R&R the 6th of September so I will get her put together and hit the range. Will let you know how it goes.
                    Thanks for the info and I look forward to great days at the range....

Comment

• GLW
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2018

Welcome

Comment

• Texas
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                        Yikes. Really? 150gr bullet at 2900 FPS vs 123gr at 2500 FPS.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

Welcome to the forum from Nevada, Romad. Plenty of good to say about the Grendel’s usefulness at longer range for those cross-canyon shots (coastal blacktails?). Even from a shorter barrel which you might want when packing it through the brush. Not that you cannot get that from your 6.8, but you sacrifice nothing, really, and gain a good deal downrange. I see you’ve ordered an upper. What did you decide on?

Comment

• Romad
                            Unwashed
                            • Aug 2018

I went with the Bear Creek 18". I have several AR's in several calibers but wanted something to reach out on dogs in the Northwest. I have a bolt 6.5 Creedmoor and love it but think its over bore for dogs. I have an AR 7 in 5.7x28 but not sure of the reach. I keep playin and having fun....

Comment

Working...
                            X