• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trident00
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

Apprentice Horde from Florida.

Last edited by Trident00; 04-05-2018, 12:46 AM.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Trident00 View Post
    Greetings everyone.

Very happy to be here and anxious to learn as much as I can about the 6.5 Grendel, reloading the round, and building AR-15 platforms for it.

I have been shooting most of my life, and have experience with many other platforms and reloading. I have only owned one AR-15 for a total of about two weeks before I received an offer I couldn’t refuse.

It’s time for me to build a custom AR-15. I have a Sharps Bros lower (“The Jack”) on the way and wanted to build a seriously accurate and fun rifle for Florida game and medium range shooting.

I’m looking at the club purchase barrel and bolt to start, but am very open minded and appreciate any advice and help on my first build.

Hope this finds everyone well.
    Cheers
    Welcome to the horde. I had one of the original Faxon 16" group buy barrels and it shot very well. Since I already had a 16" AA barrel (which also shoots very well), I sold it to another forum member. I think you'd be very happy with a group buy barrel and bolt.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Welcome, what part of Florida?

Comment

• Trident00
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2018

Between Tampa and Ocala.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the Forum Trident00! I will agree with Drillboss about the group buy bolt and Faxon 16” barrel. I have a 16” Faxon out of the first group buy and a Faxon 18” group buy barrel. These barrels make a great handling AR-15’s for hunting or target shooting. Just be forewarned 6.5 Grendel rifles are very addictive and have a way of multiplying.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

What he said they tend to just keep spawning on their own. Welcome from the Republic of Texas

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Trident00, from the Great Nation of Texas! Agree with previous sourcing statements!

Comment

• BCHunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

Love "the jack" lower just can't justify the cost, when I can get aero precision locally for 1/4 the price. Will be interested how this turns out.
                What type of Hunting scenarios will you be using it in? And what do you consider medium range? The more details provided the better advice you will get from the group.

Comment

• Trident00
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2018

The Jack, this is my fun gun, and for what it’s worth I’m sticking with a pirate/skull theme.
                  My desire to be part of the horde was spurred from my having enough other .223 platforms. I have significant experience with HK and FNH weaponry as well as others. This is only my second experience with the AR platform beyond the military.
                  I very much appreciate the responses and am eager to learn.

In answer to your question, I was thinking medium range was roughly 300-600 yards.

I’ve done much of my hunting in Colorado with a tack driver of a 300 Win Mag around the beginning of this range.

I live in Florida now, and believe this might just be the right round for me here. I’ve been shouldering a .270 lately.

God Bless.
                  Cheers
                  Last edited by Trident00; 04-06-2018, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

Welcome, Trident, from Nevada. I’ve got a feeling that once you get your Grendel built, your other rifles will become quite lonely! Terrific performance, in a rifle that lovingly nuzzles your shoulder. What’s not to love?!

Comment

• Trident00
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2018

From everything I have read, I can easily see them becoming my favorite rifles.

I was wondering if it makes sense to put a top notch trigger pack and Lower components in this build and then build up a few different uppers to swap between depending on what I’m doing.

I have the group buy 16” Barrel and bolt on the way for this initial build. It seems very well suited for tactical and the typical 70-100 yard Florida deer and hog shooting.

Was thinking after this I would just put together a long range target upper.

Currently looking at the TriggerTech adaptable AR trigger or the RISE Armament RA-535 Advanced-Performance Trigger.

I’d sure love to hear suggestions on quality build parts to finish this build.

Take care,
                      Cheers

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

I live in lake placid fl. I used to hunt with a bolt action 270. It's for sale now that i have 1 grendel and starting my 2nd build now. I tax stamped my Alexander arms lower receiver so that's set in stone. I'm going with a lite weight build so my parts list is.

12" faxon barrel
                        2a armament balios lite gen 1 upper
                        Brigand arms 9" handguard
                        Cryptic coatings mystic bronze lite bcg and bolt
                        Smoke composites short pull closed stock with butt pad
                        Jpscs h2
                        Larue trigger

So those are my personal suggestions.

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Trident00. NEVER put two grendels in the same safe unless you want more.
                          Last edited by Texas; 04-08-2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

• BCHunter
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Trident00 View Post
                            The Jack, this is my fun gun, and for what it’s worth I’m sticking with a pirate/skull theme.
                            My desire to be part of the horde was spurred from my having enough other .223 platforms. I have significant experience with HK and FNH weaponry as well as others. This is only my second experience with the AR platform beyond the military.
                            I very much appreciate the responses and am eager to learn.

In answer to your question, I was thinking medium range was roughly 300-600 yards.

I’ve done much of my hunting in Colorado with a tack driver of a 300 Win Mag around the beginning of this range.

I live in Florida now, and believe this might just be the right round for me here. I’ve been shouldering a .270 lately.

God Bless.
                            Cheers
                            The 6.5 grendal should fill your role nicely, in WI 300 yards would be considered long range hunting! That's why I asked.
                            I've read countless times you only need 3 quality lowers a rifle, carbine and pistol, and just swap uppers around. But I can never stop myself from doing a lower for each upper.

Comment

• Trident00
                              Bloodstained
                              • Apr 2018

Hey there BCHunter.
                              I doubt I will ever take a 300+ hunting shot again. We have so many trees where I hunt it’s all around 50-100yards or a little past.
                              For the 300-600 yard stuff I will be shooting at ranges around here that specialize in long range shooting.
                              Much different hunting than what I did in Colorado.

I am thinking this lower is just the first of many. Good stuff!!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X