• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monty
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

FNG from Texas

So last summer I got back into shooting. Bought a new pistol and joined a gun club that has a 600 yard range. I had sold my hunting rifles when I stopped hunting so did not have anything to use for longer range. Did not think the Mini 14 or SKS were suitable for anything but close range.

Started looking at AR 15's and picked up an M&P 15 to play with. It shot pretty well, but I had some issues with it so picked up a Colt Trooper. Then another Trooper. Then found the BCA barrel giveaway so decided to build an AR. Guess I have acquired black rifle disease!

Decided to build a Grendel upper for hog and coyote hunting and range work up to 600. Picked up a BA 16" Hanson barrel for the next build. I have ordered the rest of the parts and am just waiting for them to arrive. Also have a 1-8 Strike Eagle on the way.

I will probably build a 20" upper at some point. Or maybe a pistol. Also thinking about picking up a 4-16 optic for longer range work if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. There is a range not too far away with a 1200 yard range that might be fun to play on.

Anyway, glad to be here and glad there is a Grendel specific forum. I have already picked up much useful information and am sure to get more educated in the future. May start reloading. Thanks to all you guys for making all this available!

Monty
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

BE WARNED - BRD ( black rifle disease ) is very contageous, but a lot of fun! Welcome to the Clan, from the Great Nation of Texas! What part of the world are you in?

Comment

• monty
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2017

Thanks John!

I am east of Dallas. Near Rockwall.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Am in McKinney, there is a whole swarm of grendelizers in this area. Welcome!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum monty!

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Welcome to the Horde from Rowlett

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Monty from 12 miles south of the Red River between Paris and Sherman. There are quite a few of us in this area that have switched to the 6.5 Grendel from 5.56 and 308. The Grendel is a real hammer for pigs.

Comment

• monty
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2017

Thanks guys!

I can't wait to get everything together and get out for a hog hunt.

Comment

• Troutguide
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Welcome from the top of the metro mess! Just harvested my first two deer with the Grendel and I was not disappointed, just as effective as my .30-06 and much nicer to shoot. Interested to hear about the 1200 yd range is it public?
                  "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• monty
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2017

EXTREME TACTICS AND TRAINING SOLUTIONS in Waxahachie.

You have to be a member to use the 1200 yd range. But the rest of the range is open to anyone.

Comment

• Traxx
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2015

Welcome from Ft Worth.
                      AA Overwatch upper, Seekins Precision lower, Optics are a bushy 6500 mil dot sitting in LaRue tac mounts, Sig SRD 7.62 TI.

Comment

Working...
                      X