• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smitters
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Well, yep I'm new!

So I am a new member to the 6.5 Grendel world and thus far I'm amazed at the support and information contained on this forum alone! It seems the following for the 6.5 is a group of people educated well enough to communicate with others towards a common goal. And we appear to be of the computer age and aren't afraid to use a forum such as this. I have been toying with Guns for a long time, in many different aspects but I'm using the 6.5 Grendel to step into the long range arena.
    I shoot a palmetto state A2 lower, yes stock lower, with a Model 1 Sales 6.5 sporter upper. It's 18 inches and 1:9 twist threaded to accept my Dead Air Ti. It is currently wearing a Cabelas 4-16 x covenant line scope and it's only sighted in at 25 yards cause my hay is too high to shoot prone any further. With that being said, per my bullet drop app on my phone with hornady black 123's, it says sighted in at 25 yards will put me .3 inches high at 200. I'd like to think that my rifle is sighted in at 200 yards now. I plan to try my hand deer hunting with the gun, I've always used my trusty 12 gauge with a light field sabot. But this range it's giving me and the little fluctuation through the ranges is "hopefully" going to allow me longer shots on deer. No more watching that deer 200 yards away walk past. Yep I'm rambling, so I'll summarize by saying thanks for all the great information on this forum!!

Thomas
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Smitters - welcome from the Great Nation of Texas! What part of the world are you in?
    My first Grendel was an M1 Sales 24" er. My first 3 rounds ( at 100 yds ) made a .3" group and I stopped. Had never shot so well in my life. Now, like so many others here, am addicted to Grendels. It is an awesome round!

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Smitters! You might check your scope height imput on your ballistic ballistic computer, sounds like your data might be off. On my AR-15’s with 1” diameter scopes I use 2.5” over the bore and 30 MM scopes use 2.75” over bore when using a ballistic calculator. When I used 1.5” my data came close to what you mentioned, regardless the 6.5 Grendel is a dandy round.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-25-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Welcome sir!!! You are going to find this forum is a great resource for information. How that uppers shooting for you with the Black ammo?

Comment

• Smitters
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2017

I am from Indiana. And the height over bore is a big concern for sure but I dont know an accurate way to measure that. Thus far the hornady black shot very well, but I haven't had an opportunity to stretch its legs with crops still on.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Smitters I grew up in Indiana but currently live just across the Wabash River in SE Illinois. I just lay a ruler or tape measurer from the center line of the scope to the center line of the barrel. Typical sights on an AR-15 are 1.4”-1.6” over the receiver Picatinney rail. The straight line stock configeration of the AR-15 raises the sights higher over the bore compared to a traditional stocked rifle.

What part of Indiana are you located Smitters?

Comment

• Smitters
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

Without getting overly detailed, I live in the north east, south of Fort Wayne. I'm pretty excited to hunt with this round as my little woods has roughly a 200 yard shot to a very open fence line I've seen deer use with regularity.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

To get sight height use the mid-line of your barrel to the seam on your scope mount. See Pic.
                Sight Height resized.jpg
                Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• Smitters
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2017

That's literally so simple! I was trying to look at it from the end with upper off the lower. I feel educated now! Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                  X