• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pianoman9701
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Newbie from WA

Hi Gang,

Brand new here and wanted to say hi. I have a really nice AR-10 platform, put together with a lot of help from Loyal's Guns here in WA. 24" BHW SPR barrel with 3" muzzle break, 9-14" Harris bipod, Fortis handguards, Vltor upper and handle, Palmetto lower with RRA 2-stage trigger, Magpul furniture and PRS stock, Steiner GS3 2-10x42 glass (I need a longer range scope). I haven't hunted with it yet as all of my big game hunting is archery. But I'd like to do some predator hunting with it. Couple of hundred rounds through it at the range with tight/touching clover groups @100. Factory Hornady 123gr A-Max ammo shoots well but I'd like to move into loading my own.
    Attached Files
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum pianoman9701! Nice looking rifle, I bet it is a good shooter. I think you have a typo in your description, AR-10, you have a small frame AR-15 in the picture. Seems like every post I find some kind of mistake and have to edit.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks will be a great start for you.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pianoman9701
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2017

Interesting. The guy who got most of the parts together and put the upper together called it an AR10. Are you sure? That's good info because I'd like to have a 5.56 upper made for it. I don't know the difference, obviously. I just enjoy shooting it a lot. And, it is a good shooter.
        Last edited by pianoman9701; 03-09-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• pianoman9701
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2017

Thanks very much. I'll get those as soon as I get the reloading gear together. It might be a while.

Comment

• Retro
            Warrior
            • Jul 2016

What part of Washington are you from. I'm here in Western Wa. VASCAR2 is correct, AR 15. If you're shooting 6.5 Grendel with it it's an AR 15 platform. I hope that your friends at Loyal Guns didn't charge you AR 10 prices.
            Originally posted by pianoman9701 View Post
            Hi Gang,

Brand new here and wanted to say hi. I have a really nice AR-10 platform, put together with a lot of help from Loyal's Guns here in WA. 24" BHW SPR barrel with 3" muzzle break, 9-14" Harris bipod, Fortis handguards, Vltor upper and handle, Palmetto lower with RRA 2-stage trigger, Magpul furniture and PRS stock, Steiner GS3 2-10x42 glass (I need a longer range scope). I haven't hunted with it yet as all of my big game hunting is archery. But I'd like to do some predator hunting with it. Couple of hundred rounds through it at the range with tight/touching clover groups @100. Factory Hornady 123gr A-Max ammo shoots well but I'd like to move into loading my own.

Comment

• pianoman9701
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2017

I may have misunderstood him and just been misspoken. Without the glass, the gun cost me roughly $1,400.00. With all the help he gave me, I'm pleased with what I got. Could I have had it done cheaper somewhere else? Probably. I don't think with the components I have it would've been a lot cheaper, if so. I don't know, though. Thanks for the new information. I sure am excited to get a new upper for it in 5.56. Better for the yotes.

Comment

• Retro
                Warrior
                • Jul 2016

If you're happy with it it is worth every penny that you paid. Nice looking rifle

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Here's the difference between small frame AR15 and large frame AR10/LR-308:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pianoman9701
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2017

Vancouver.

Comment

• Retro
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2016

I think there may be some others in Southwest Wa in this group. I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula near Kingston.
                      Originally posted by pianoman9701 View Post
                      Vancouver.

Comment

• pianoman9701
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Welcome aboard. Here's the difference between small frame AR15 and large frame AR10/LR-308:

I thought I'd already responded to this. Still getting used to posting here. That picture is very helpful. Thank you LRRP, and for your service, as well. Does it make any difference that mine has no forward assist?

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

And weight, what a difference in weight for equal builds!

Comment

• Red Dawn
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

Welcome aboard sounds like a great build if you're putting small clovers on paper at 100
                            "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

Working...
                            X