• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerryz06
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

New member from South Carolina

New member from South Carolina

New to this forum but not new to shooting. Began competitive bench rest shooting in the early 70s and have owned high-end custom bolt guns for 40+ years. I've had custom long distance bolt guns built by Seely Masker, Clay Spencer, Jim Borden, Gordy Gritters and Darrell Holland. I'm also into quality 1911 pistols - currently own 4 from Wilson Combat.

About 10 years ago I got interested in accurate AR type rifles. I bought a maxed out Titan (308) from the Fulton Armory and later their best 223, a side cocker. The Titan shoots about 1/2 minute off the bench with my handloads and the 223 shoots below 4/10s. I have 3 other ARs in 223, a Rock River and 2 Bushmasters - all shoot slightly below 1 minute.

About 6 months ago I ordered a high-end 6.5 Grendel upper from a well known manufacture. This upper came with a match grade barrel. I mated it with the Fulton Armory lower and went through 2 test sessions using my handloads and 2 factory loads. It was so bad I suspected a scope failure (Leupold Mark 4). Switching to a proven Nightforce did not help. I was expecting 1/2 minute or better; 3 shot groups were at least double that. I had a long conversation with the company and they asked me return the upper. 3 months later I received a full refund.

I currently have on order the best upper Les Baer makes - it may be a year wait. In the mean time I'm looking for a complete 6.5 Grendel. Quality and accuracy are a must. Any recommendations based on first hand experience?
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

precision firearms gets great reviews
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

PF or JP is where I would spend my money at, I built my own useing parts from both company's and their quality is top shelf and customer service is great as well.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I agree, JP get great reviews and they ship quickly, another company which ship quickly is Lilja. Welcome to the forum Jerryz06, always good to have members who have been there and done that!

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Jerryz06. Are you planning on an impingement or pushrod gas system? What weight projectile are you thinking about using, and at what range(s)?

Comment

• Jerryz06
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

Texas,
            I don't have a preference on the gas system, I'm just interested in accuracy and reliability. Max shooting distances of 500 yards. With magazine limits on cartridge lengths I think the Grendel is best suited for match grade bullets in the 107 to 123 grain range. Heavier bullets have better BCs but need to be seated too far into the case. Heavier bullets would make sense in a bolt gun with a long throat.

Comment

• Red Dawn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Welcome not much worse then anticipating results from your build only to find it's not what you expected. Hope Les Baer gets it done for you sooner than a year. Good luck.
              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

Working...
              X