• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SightedIn
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

New member sayin hello

Hi Everyone,
    I have been perusing through the forum for quite awhile but just joined up recently and wanted to say hi.
    You guys have a lot of great info here, my hats off to you all.

I have been a shooting for a few years and have been recently concentrating on more long range,semi auto, accurized rifles. I own a few rifles, last one a .308 Remi bolt, but the recoil on it is a bit too much for comfort (shoulder injury/surgery a few years ago, still nagging). Mainly a one shot hunting rifle that one is. I thought an AR10 platform might be better, but then shot a friends POF 308 and found nil improvement as far as recoil. I've always liked the AR15 platform for its modularity( who doesnt) and thought i'd research more powerfull and accurate cartidges for that platform. So I looked at 6.8spc, .25-45Sharps, .277 Wolverine, 7.62x40WT and 6.5 Grendel. From all looks of it, the Grendal apears to be of much lesser recoil than a 308, more accurate than most of the other calibers listed calibers, and ammo is fairly well priced too. Sold. Started a build three weeks ago starting with a Precision Firearms 18" Criterion barrel ( gonna be awhile before I see it it looks like). It will take another four weeks at least to complete it(myself).
    Anyhow, when completed my first question might be scope selection for it, but i'll start another thread for that when the rifle is near completion.
    Thanks again!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum SightedIn. If your concerned about recoil you might consider a A-2 stock. There is a space in the butt stock for a cleaning kit but they sell lead weights that fit in that space. A lot of DCM shooters use the lead weight mostly for balance but it does help lessen felt recoil. You sure don't want to aggravate that nagging shoulder.

Comment

• SightedIn
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

Thanks for the info, it is a good idea that never occured to me.
      I do have much of the build based around low recoil. So far those particular components in hand are;
      JP Muzzle brake
      Spikes T2 Heavy buffer
      Hogue rubber grip
      Magpul STR stock

The stock choice was for many reasons;
      1)Its adustable
      2)It has a good cheek weld on it
      3)It has two side "battery compartments" that I can put varying amounts of weights in if needed
      4) Magpul sells an upgraded, thicker buttpad specifically for it thats supposed to be recoil friendly

thanks again!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...