• Show
Clear All
  • pistolpeta
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

Pre-6.5grendel owner here

Hello World!
    My names Pete!
    I will soon join the 6.5G community but i have some questions first!

Im currently looking at the lilja 23" 6.5grendel barrel for an ar15.
    expensive! dag nabet!

well, just wondering if yall could weigh in on barrel choice is all, things get pretty expensive the more i look at this dang screen haha.

Sold an Ar just to fund this project.
    Ive got $775 to go towards the project. I know thats a small amount for what I need but well, barrel and a decent scope is what I have to fit into that parameter.
    already have the rest of the parts.

Thanks for the time guys, and I hope to contribute what I can!
  • kbarnes12
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

What will be the purpose of this rifle, for punching holes in paper or hitting steel targets at long ranges the 23" barrel is fine. But for hunting its way too long. 16" to 20" are a lot easier to carry and maneuver. Lilja barrels are top notch.
    sigpic
    Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• pistolpeta
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2016

mainly for distance, id say. Got the blackout for the woods.
      although i just read that theres a very small difference in fps at long range between the 18" vs the 24".

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Cast around the various threads and you'll find that a 16" to 18" works fine at long distance unless you are a top level competitor. What this means is that most of us don't shoot well enough to be able to tell the difference in group sizes between a cartridge with 2500 fps muzzle velocity and one with even 300 fps more muzzle velocity with the same bullet.

If you start using a barrel of that length, you may find that the Grendel makes a fine woods gun too when you aren't pushing the limits of range.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• pistolpeta
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2016

Well I pulled the trigger on the purchases today.
          -24" SS. Satern/Brownells barrel(button rifled but the reviews claimed .300" groups).
          -SWFA SS 10x44 Mrad
          -A2 butt stock
          -40 rds prvi ammo (110gr)
          -20 rds Hornady 123gr sst.

All I need are some light scope rings. Should I get a solid scope base or two scope rings?
          and is it personal preference for the height? or is there an advantage to getting higher vs. lower rings?

Comment

• kbarnes12
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

Should be a dandy shooter. I had Burris PERP on one of my ARs and a Rock River on the other, I now have 2 Rock Rivers and no Burris's. The Rock River sits about 1/4" of and inch higher and fits my face shape better.
            sigpic
            Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• pistolpeta
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Rock river has some pretty decent stuff from what im learning, never messed with them but ill have to now look into that, and their 2 stage triggers.

Comment

Working...
              X