• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Professor9
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2015

New guy in Pittsburgh

Hi guys.

Not new to AR's, but to the Grendel caliber, yes I am new. First build underway -

Anderson Upper & Lower
    Bushmaster Lower Parts
    Brownells 18" barrel

Not sure yet on furniture, but I am considering going whole Hogue - a free float, the grip and the stock.
    Not sure yet on Optics, but I am leaning toward a Vortex. I have one Crossfire.

Looking forward to seeing how she comes together. I will free float it definitely.

Still trying to find a good muzzle brake for it though.

Prof
    Last edited by Professor9; 10-12-2015, 09:49 PM.
  • laxpatrick
    Bloodstained
    • May 2015

Welcome! I did a build with a Hogue - like it, but may end up drilling for a bipod mount.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard.

Comment

• devildogandboy
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

from one new guy to another, welcome!

Bruce
        HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• Professor9
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2015

I'd like to give an update to my build, as I'm almost finished with the gathering. I have two questions - one on the buffer, and one on the scope mount.

Anderson Upper & Lower
          Bushmaster Lower Parts Kit
          Brownells 18" barrel w/ mid-length gas system
          Young MFG M16 Bolt
          Hogue Free Float Tube, Hogue Grip
          Magpul MOE & Mil Spec Tube carbine length
          Vortex Viper 3.5-10X50

On the buffer, from the research I should use the H2 buffer. I may use the flat wire spring, but see these "nokick" buffer assemblies. Any suggestions on what buffer to use?
          Leaning toward a DNZ single piece mount, but not sure what degree MOE I should use. I plan to target shoot, generally 200-300 yards. Eventually varmint but in PA we can't use the semi.

Suggestions? I plan to do the assembly thanksgiving weekend. Thanks guys. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Prof

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

You haven't mentioned what gas block your going to use. The Brownell's barrels have a large gas port on 18" barrels. If you haven't purchased an adjustable gas block I would recommend you do. With an adjustable gas block you can better control the function of the rifle than by using a heavier buffer.

I used a JP clamp on adjustable gas block on my 20" barrel with Hogue float tube. If you want the gas block under the hand guard Syrac and SLR ajustable gas blocks are very popular.

You might get by with an H-2 buffer but you might still have a the rifle which is over gassed.

As far a scope mounts if you think you might shoot at extended long range you might consider a 20 MOA canted scope base. If your sure your going to shoot under 700-800 yards you won't need the canted base. I like cantilever one piece mounts and you can get by with the cheaper mounts from RRA, SWFA, Burris PERP mount or Nikon. If you can afford a Borbro, LaRue, American Defense or Vortex your definitely paying for quality.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-30-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Professor9
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2015

I understand the barrel is coming with a low profile gas block. I'll look into adjustable gas blocks, as I'm assuming you mean I could use a standard buffer by then adjusting the gas dynamic.
              Thanks on the scope mount suggestions. My one AR has the Burris and I've not had a problem with it. Just hate to buy too low of a mount and find its not high enough for a 50 objective.
              Barrel is on the way to me as of today. Looking forward! Prof

Comment

• jagonh
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2015

Welcome aboard

Comment

• reaper12
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2015

Welcome from the Space Coast.
                  The only Love that Money can buy is a Dog

Comment

• Professor9
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by reaper12 View Post
                    Welcome from the Space Coast.
                    Ha - my folks live there - just outside the south entrance to Patrick Air Force Base.

Well I received my barrel yesterday, and decided to bite on the two stage trigger from RRA for 62 bucks - geesh that is inexpensive.

I have everything except for scope mount, and plan to do the build over Thanksgiving weekend. I'll decide later to use a new thread or this one. Nonetheless, I will post pics of the build later!

Prof

Comment

• Drillboss
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

Hey Prof, if you're not looking for a canted mount, the Aero Precision Ultralight is pretty nice.

Comment

• Professor9
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
                        Hey Prof, if you're not looking for a canted mount, the Aero Precision Ultralight is pretty nice.
                        Thanks. That looks like the one I could go with, and it's priced under the PEPR.

Comment

• Drillboss
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

I asked the question about mounts a few weeks ago. Link below:

This is kind of basic, but can I get some recommendations on a good scope mount? I assume the best option is one that mounts directly to the upper receiver, rather than straddling across to the hand guard. I've got the Burris PEPR, but I've recently had trouble getting any tight groups. The rings are torqued tight, but it

Comment

• reaper12
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2015

Welcome from Florida.
                            The only Love that Money can buy is a Dog

Comment

• Casper77
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2015

Welcome!

Comment