• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
    I was stationed and lived there for 3 years before moving here to VA. I've worked with 7 realtors so far. I even checked with the medics who are on orders and leaving this summer. They all made rental agreements with the medics replacing them several months ago. There's no on-post housing at Camp Atterbury. Buying anywhere within 50 miles is a joke right now unless you can compete with out of state real estate investment companies like AH4R or Progressive Rentals. I recently put in a over list price offer on a house and lost out to Progressive who paid nearly $75K cash over asking price. It was just an average house in a subdivision.

I'm half-way considering staying in an extended stay hotel with my family until something in the slums opens. It will only costs me $2880/month. That means 35-37 hours of my wages will go to housing.
    What ever you do, you will have to do it quick since your report date is 6 July. Having been stationed there is a major plus for you even if you don't find a place to buy right now. Not much more I can say because I have lived through the same stuff too and it is the type of pressure a guy doesn't need. In addition, the summer is the PCS season and June / July are traditionally the time when real estate is in the highest demand. Not a good thing but I have never heard of a SM PCSing into homelessness either. So I figure you will end up renting something for a while and probably by mid fall will have found a place.

LR55

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Possible long shot if desperate enough would be to tell your situation to some form of media in the area (T.V., radio, web.) Might help, not sure if it could hurt. (This humor might be too soon but Medics have thick skin. You could hang out at a nearby Walmart with a sign......)
      Too soon?

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
        Possible long shot if desperate enough would be to tell your situation to some form of media in the area (T.V., radio, web.) Might help, not sure if it could hurt. (This humor might be too soon but Medics have thick skin. You could hang out at a nearby Walmart with a sign......)
        Too soon?
        LA:

Let me advise you to let it be.

No offense intended.

LR55

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          LA:

Let me advise you to let it be.

No offense intended.

LR55
          Done and done. Best of luck to Dinny.

Comment

• Dinny
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

I had an offer accepted today. Now we await the VA appraisal/inspection. I just started terminal leave and retire in 88 days. The job at Atterbury is a contract position (career #2).

Thanks, Dinny
            Last edited by Dinny; 06-04-2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Hate to see you have to leave Virginia but Indiana is a good place to move to, good people. It's where I started out and grew up.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
              X