X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

Thanks guys for taking the time to explain with great details. I understand the theory better and will stick to the easy way for now and progress in the future.

Again, appreciate the time and explanation, I hope this also helps others who are reading my questions and put them to your answers to help them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      The second gauge is called a 'rifle gauge'. it is essentially a SAAMI chamber reamed into a cylinder. You drop the case in and depending on which way you hold it upright gives you a ready reckoner of case length (for trimming) or the other way up for headspace. It has minimum and maximum levels machined into it but does not give you an empirical figure like the Hornady does. Rifle gauges determine axial as well as horizontal headspace so if your case is too 'fat' it won't fit. With the Hornady gauges if your case is too fat it won't reveal this, it only measures horizontal length. They are caliber specific.

If your chamber is tighter than SAAMI then the Wilson rifle gauge is of little use to you.
      One clarification to this thread, which will affect many of the posts after yours, is that the Wilson case gauge is not made with a SAAMI chamber reamer. It is made to have the SAAMI spec for measuring headspace and trim length, but the diameters of the case body and neck are larger, so that a fired case will fit. Wilson explains that in this video, around the 6:00 mark. The video also explains why they did it that way, it makes it much easier to check fired brass prior to resize.

Sheridan ammunition gauges are made to SAAMI spec, including diameters of the case body and neck. So for some of the diameter checking people are discussing in this thread, that would be the gauge to use.

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Zapp View Post
        One clarification to this thread, which will affect many of the posts after yours, is that the Wilson case gauge is not made with a SAAMI chamber reamer. It is made to have the SAAMI spec for measuring headspace and trim length, but the diameters of the case body and neck are larger, so that a fired case will fit. Wilson explains that in this video, around the 6:00 mark. The video also explains why they did it that way, it makes it much easier to check fired brass prior to resize.

Sheridan ammunition gauges are made to SAAMI spec, including diameters of the case body and neck. So for some of the diameter checking people are discussing in this thread, that would be the gauge to use.
        I just got my Wilson Gauge and yup, both new AA Brass and my fired Hornady Brass fit. One thing I did notice as the video explained and the reason i bought it, is the depth the case goes in. My new AA Brass goes in flush to the lowest point and the fired brass goes in and sets above the highest point. Now I'll need to de-prime and resize to compare all 3. Once it is de-primed it should set flush and then the trimming are wil be reviled.

Pretty cool gauge and you can see the differences. Also the best gauge is the feeler gauge, my finger tip rubbing across the smooth surfaces. You can actually feel how smooth the new AA brass is (Flush) and the protruding fired Hornady brass. also the end where the case end is, the AA brass is perfectly flush and the fired Hornady is recessed. It would be great if the length gauge would just cut it or trim it flush to the Wilson Gauge. That is the next investigative tool.

Comment

Working...
        X