Sabre Defense 24" SS Grendel barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabre Defense 24" SS Grendel barrel

Not mine, needs an extension put on. It's used but seller is asking $150 if anyone is interested.

From the ad:
    I have a Heavy, Fluted, 24" 6.5 Grendel Barrel made by Sabre Defense for sale. This barrel is in 410 stainless steel (ss), and has a 1:9 twist and a target crown. the previous owner decided to remove the barrel extension, so you will need to have one of these installed before this can be mounted.

Ken
  • Grendel-Gene

So how would I go about getting a new barrel extension for this barrel? Is this something that only Saber can provide or would it be something Alexander Arms or any other Grendel barrel maker can sell me?
    Thanks

Comment

Well....

I'm pretty sure the installation of the extension determines the timing for the gas port.

Most if not all barrel manufactures install the extension to a specific torque and then drill the gas port according to orientation of the extension.

I'm guessing it's not impossible to reverse the process to time an extension to an existing gas port but I expect it would be a chore. YMMV

You might wish to read this post on AR15.com....the first to reply lacks manners but he sums up most of the potential issues with after the fact barrel extension installation.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Personally I would run ...not walk away from this barrel.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Whoever pulled that extension from that barrel just threw away a lot of money. That barrel is going to take more than it's worth to get back into working order, if even possible. Try timing an extension to an existing barrel with the chamber already finished, setting headspace with the bolt, and timing to the gas port that is already cut.

One cheaper solution is ignoring the gas port location, and just timing the extension to the chamber and headspacing for the bolt. If the gas port ends up at 200 degrees, for example, install a low-profile gas block, then have a custom gas tube made that angles until the tube is back up at Top Dead Center. M16 Clinic used to do a pigtail gas tube for SBR's that spiraled around the barrel like a spring, trying to tame the gas system for the abusive short guns (it doesn't really work that well because of lack of dwell time).

Getting the custom-bent gas tube would be the biggest hurdle with such a project, and you end up with a frankensystem. The tube will have to be longer than rifle-length, and bent precisely, or else you will have alignment issues and binding on the carrier key. I would walk away from this barrel personally.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Thanks. I will walk away from this one.

Comment

Working...
          X